Common core math grade 3

Christine Ann S

My gradsonis in 3rd grade. He has been   tested and has ADHD. He has a 504 with extra time for tests etc.  

He is currently STRUGGLING with 3 didget subtraction with common core math.  He just can't seem to get it.  And the more we practice, practice, practice he still can't seem to get it and gets more and more upset. He is almost to the point of hating school, which he used to love.

But ..... He can do the same math problem with no help "the old fashioned way". 

Is it possible to put in a 504 plan that he be allowed to do it that way. He is borrowing and showing all his work that way.

We live in PA

• Moderators

I don't see why not, and it certainly wouldn't hurt to ask the 504 team if this could be added as an accommodation.  However, I don't know if the school will agree.

When you say he was "tested," was he tested for academic achievement or just behavior?  You might reach out and ask for additional testing - something else might be going on such as dyscalculia.  Also, depending on how low his scores are in math, he might qualify for an IEP, which would give him specialized instruction in math - hopefully in a manner that works for him.

• Like 1

Common core methods can help students who are struggling because this tends to break things down into a more visual/concrete ways of doing math when concepts are more abstract/less intuitive.  On the other hand, if a student can intuitively work math problems using other methods, they really don't need to learn another methodology of getting to the right answers.  There are people whose minds see abstract math intuitively because their neurology has their brains with extra connections that typical people don't have.  These connections show up on fMRI and are present in individuals diagnosed with ADHD & autism.  It makes sense on many levels to let him do things his way.

The exception to this is when a method appears on state standardized testing the child will take at the end of the year.  I'd ask the school if this is the case and why they are pushing for him to learn things the common core way.  (I did check if there are open ended math problems on the PSSA and there are.  Your grandson might not get full credit for these if they are not following the rubric prescribed in the test.)  A score of proficient or advanced is passing on the PSSA.  These tests are used (to a degree) to see if teachers will get merit raises so this may effect a teacher but shouldn't effect your grandson.

I'm not sure if this might be viewed as a modification that takes him off of a diploma track.  If this is the case, it might be better of not being on a 504.  Given his grades, has he been assessed for a GIEP?  Given what you posted, he might qualify.  If he does gifted math, he might not need to follow common core methods.

This is a sample 3rd grade PSSA.  It has one 3-part open-ended question.  https://www.education.pa.gov/Documents/K-12/Assessment and Accountability/PSSA/Item and Scoring Samples/2023 PSSA ISS Math Grade 3.pdf  If this is typical, I would let him do things his way.  (Common core methods often require more writing and kids with ADHD will often not have the patience to do this.)

Hopefully, they move on to other topics in math where he can conform to how the teacher wants questions to be answered.