OT and Use of Eating tools due to sensory issues

Conni W

Just finished an IEP for grandson who is on the autism spectrum, very involved, no speech (2 words not easily understood), not bathroom ready, lots of repetitive movements. One the call we requested that they address his eating habits at school because we did at home...teaching him to not shred everything and use fork and spoon. They told us that eating was not an education related need, I explained that it was all connected to his sensory issues which they were addressing in other areas. I suggested I could send them some information on eating, sensory integration, and education and that I would send them some sample goals and objectives. The OT burst out laughing! 😮 I will proceed anyway. Frustrating lack of respect, even if they disagreed or I was totally wrong.

• Moderators

I'm sorry they were so disrespectful to you. 

Does your grandson have a swallowing disorder or other medical condition? Are you wanting the OT to work on independence with feeding as a fine motor goal or a life skill goal?

Schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Programs should have an interest in children wanting to be properly fed and hydrated in order to attend to their educational activities. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jenna said:

I'm sorry they were so disrespectful to you. 

Does your grandson have a swallowing disorder or other medical condition? Are you wanting the OT to work on independence with feeding as a fine motor goal or a life skill goal?

Schools participating in the National School Lunch Program and School Breakfast Programs should have an interest in children wanting to be properly fed and hydrated in order to attend to their educational activities. 

He eats with his hands and often chokes or vomits due to the speed he shovels it in. We would love for this to be a goal/objective related to life skills. Thanks for the idea!!!

• Moderators

I'd think they wouldn't want a child vomiting or choking at school. If you happen to have any medical documentation (feeding evaluation reports, doctor letters, or pediatric feeding OT or SLP letters, etc.), that may be helpful to submit to the school to support your request.

I am sorry the OT was so unprofessional.  This is most certainly within the scope of practice for the OT and appropriate in the school environment. I also suggest bringing in the school nurse, if there is one, to advocate for the safety issue at hand. I have also attached an article link that provides sample goals, measurements, and the appropriate links to professional standards.   https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Deborah_Bruns/publication/264003906_Turning_Mealtimes_into_Learning_Opportunities_Integrating_Feeding_Goals_into_IEPs/links/00b4953c859d78360d000000/Turning-Mealtimes-into-Learning-Opportunities-Integrating-Feeding-Goals-into-IEPs.pdf