Currently on a 504, denied IEP “academic impact”

Megan

Hello 🙂

i’m not sure the correct forum to put this in, so I’m gonna put it here and I’m in the IEP forum as well.

last year I requested a formal full, comprehensive evaluation. At the time my son had an ADHD diagnosis from a medical professional. They denied my son, which I just recently found out stating that he did not mean eligibility, because there was no “academic impact”. That is exactly the reason for denial written in the eligibility report.

Over the summer we had him reevaluated by a psychologist. Since we have a family history of autism, they asked questions which showed markers. He is now diagnosed with autism and ADHD. I supplied that report to the school this past August and they did further evaluation, MTSS data for communication as he has a social pragmatic/paralinguistic‘s delay.

The school again this past December found him in eligible for an IEP again “ Boston is out or above grade level and therefore no academic impact”. 

I reached out because during that eligibility meeting, I questioned their speech evaluation as it was a virtual meeting and not appropriate. It also lack a lot of data leaving just a comment from the evaluate her and no actual data.

I am of course, asking for an IEE. They notated areas of weakness from the private reports, but did not consider them in the eligibility process at all.

However, I let the school know that they wrongfully denied my son eligibility for an IEP, solely on the basis of academics and not of an educational impact. If anybody can give me any insight on what next step should be? Should I file for a new process? Should I reach out to the senior executive Director of special education at my district level?

Thank you for any input.

10 minutes ago, Megan said:

Hello 🙂

i’m not sure the correct forum to put this in, so I’m gonna put it here and I’m in the IEP forum as well.

last year I requested a formal full, comprehensive evaluation. At the time my son had an ADHD diagnosis from a medical professional. They denied my son, which I just recently found out stating that he did not mean eligibility, because there was no “academic impact”. That is exactly the reason for denial written in the eligibility report.

Over the summer we had him reevaluated by a psychologist. Since we have a family history of autism, they asked questions which showed markers. He is now diagnosed with autism and ADHD. I supplied that report to the school this past August and they did further evaluation, MTSS data for communication as he has a social pragmatic/paralinguistic‘s delay.

The school again this past December found him in eligible for an IEP again “ Boston is out or above grade level and therefore no academic impact”. 

I reached out because during that eligibility meeting, I questioned their speech evaluation as it was a virtual meeting and not appropriate. It also lack a lot of data leaving just a comment from the evaluate her and no actual data.

I am of course, asking for an IEE. They notated areas of weakness from the private reports, but did not consider them in the eligibility process at all.

However, I let the school know that they wrongfully denied my son eligibility for an IEP, solely on the basis of academics and not of an educational impact. If anybody can give me any insight on what next step should be? Should I file for a new process? Should I reach out to the senior executive Director of special education at my district level?

Thank you for any input.

Forgive my many grammatical errors. I was voice texting and cannot figure out how to delete or edit