Field Trips

Camille

My son is in HS and attends a public performing arts school.  They are taking an overnight trip.   They did a similar trip last year.  Per his IEP a parent is permitted to attend all field trips.  The bottom line is that his anxiety and PTSD are so bad that he could never attend without a parent even given his age.  Last year I had to fight to attend the trip and pay extra for us to have a double occupancy room.  The total cost last year for both of us was around $1000.  The staff saw how my son needed me to help with his anxiety and admitted to being wrong to fight me.  

This year the trip for both of us is going to be over $3000.  This is a lot of money.  Being a teacher I know that most times chaperones go complementary for these trips per the travel agencies.  I also know that most museums/tourist attractions will not charge personal caregivers entrance fees.  

Since my attendance is listed in his IEP and necessary for his participation, I was wondering if there was any president for some or if all of the additional cost for me to attend could be waived.

I appreciate any advice.  (Bottom line I will do whatever is necessary for my son to attend this trip but I am attempting to avoid unnecessary debt.)

• Moderators

It might come down to a matter of semantics.  If the IEP states, as you do above, that the parent is "permitted" to attend all field trips, you may be out of luck.  "Permitted" does not necessarily imply that the school will pay for it.  However, if a parent attending a field trip is listed under accommodations as something that is necessary for the student to be able to attend field trips with his peers, then that accommodation (as any other would be) would have to be paid for by the school.  If this is not the exact wording in the IEP document, I would get that changed.  Because it does sound like this is a necessary accommodation.

Lawyers will provide a free 15 minute consult.  It might be worth having one look at the wording in the IEP.  It's not FAPE if he has to have a parent on the trip and that accommodation is going to cost you $1500.  FAPE should be free to families.  If he needed a paraprofessional to go on the trip, the school would pick up their tab.  You're saving them money because you are providing your time at no cost.

I'd ask them what costs will be covered.  If you don't ask, I'm positive they won't offer to help with the added cost of him needing a 1:1 chaperone.  PA Consult Line is another place to ask what financial help the school should provide so his accommodation can happen.  https://odr-pa.org/consultline-contact/

I'd put it in writing if you ask for financial help:  XX has on his IEP that a parent must attend field trips so he has access to them given his disability.  This year, the trip is to NYC and the added cost for a parent to attend with him is around $1500.  Since schools are required to provide FAPE to students with IEPs, how does XX School District cover this?  Should I pay my way and then send receipts so I can be reimbursed or will XXSD pay directly for XX's accommodation of having a parent attend?  What costs will the school cover?  I'm assuming I will need to pay for my own meals but the school will cover transportation, lodging and admission fees.  Please let me know so I can figure out my finances.  Thanks.

My wording is inspired by Lisa's recent article on not being soft with parent correspondence with the school.😁

• Like 1

• Administrators

What Judi said is spot on.....I'd add the caveat that, is this trip necessary for his education? Or is it an "extra" or "fun thing" to do? If it's the latter, and not required content...you may run into some hurdles.

And $3000? How are they affording this for all the kids? It seems to me that unless significant fundraising occurred, there are many families who cannot do this.

Important Information

Terms of Use