Credit recovery failure

cmgiepmom

Question

In Pennsylvania. My daughter had a credit recovery course this summer for Geometry. This was not ESY, this was credit recovery.  She failed the credit recovery also. 

For a little background, this was her second credit recovery course she has had to take for a core subject (last year it was Biology and she scraped by with the lowest D).  What are some things suggested to: one, have her retake this course again to understand and pass. Can I request it has to be in-person and not online ?(online is the only option for credit recovery in our district) And two, I would like to have her re-evaluated before her three years is due (spring 2025). What should I ask for in her evaluations for math?  She already has a SLD for reading and found to have extremely low working memory, (which I do think contributes to all of this, but not everything ).  I am looking to ask for the re-evaluation now so the request can be there as soon as possible at first day of school (8/22).  Also thinking of asking for an IEE, just not sure if I'm willing to fight that so much if it's rejected.

Thank you,

4 answers to this question

In my mind, no kid should be allowed to fail. I believe the mantra "kids do well when they can."

So, even more so when we know there are learning disabilities.

You can request anything....you just have to have the data to back it up. What do you have that says that she needs to learn in person rather than virtual?

--------------------

This account is run by multiple people.

If you have a technical/forums question, please put it in the Start Here forum

All other questions, please find the appropriate forum.

Is there any alternatives to this class she can take to fulfill the same general learning? I ask because in my area credit recovery is outside the typical school day (I'm was a similar situation here as it's summer) and that is likely going to be difficult to staff for in-person.

I agree with sharing the evidence of how in-person learning would improve the situation. Be prepared to address what went wrong the first time with in-person learning in the classroom. It might also help to do a little digging: is anyone else offering in-person credit recovery, like a private school or another district? 

• Moderators

You can definitely ask for a re-evaluation prior to the tri-annual, as long as it has been one year since an evaluation was done.  Ask for it in all areas of disability and concerns.  As far as what to ask for specifically in math, I don't believe you have to ask for anything other than "academics in the area of math," but you would want the specific areas of concern evaluated, as well as whether she is meeting state standards.  Once the re-evaluation is back, if you disagree with it, you can request an IEE.  There shouldn't be a "fight" over this, since the school has to agree to it or take you to due process, which most school district don't do.  All you have to say is that you disagree with the school's evaluation.  You do not have to get into specifics of why you disagree - even if they ask you.  But you will need to know what areas you want evaluated in the IEE.

To request an IEE, you need to say the school's eval wasn't complete or wasn't accurate.  They are going to ask why you waited more than 2 years to say anything and want to do a new eval before paying for an IEE.  (You can pay for one at any time.  The school won't pay if it's been 27 months since they did an eval.)

What I said when I requested an eval for my son was that the information in the school's eval report doesn't really explain the issues we're seeing with him in school.  I asked for the school to do a neuropsychological evaluation because they tend to be more comprehensive than a psychoeducational eval that the school does triennially.  And they agreed to do it.  (I feel I got really lucky here.)  It was done by someone who is contracted to do these by my local IU & it did explain my son's difficulty with writing book reports:  He's dysgraphic.  (I thought the school had evaluated for this and ruled it out in the past but it seems like OT's can't do this.)

If low working memory is the issue, it should effect a lot more than just reading and a neuropsychologist should be able to connect the dots to say if this is the issue with math as well.  The report might also offer some strategies that your child can use to improve working memory.

If your child is masking their disability at school so they aren't bullied, this is using their working memory where they have less for learning academics.  I'm not sure if there is an assessment for masking.

Lastly, if the data shows that repetition is needed to overcome issues with working memory, you can request an IA to go over any material she is taught.  It's possible that an online class would be accessible to your child with the support of an IA to reinforce what's being taught.  And this would include any credit recovery classes that might be needed in the future.