IEP Goals

AutMomJ314

Is it ok for a goal to be measured "by staff observation" only?  

For example:  By the end of the 9 weeks, he will follow staff directives 80% of charted opportunities.  Success will be measured using staff observation.

If it's legit, I digress.  Doesn't please though.  I will ask for something more concrete, but still want to know in your opinion if it's acceptable. 

THANKS

Many goals are measured by staff observation.  The goal in plain English is: frequency at which he will follow adult (verbal) directions.  Other than staff observation, how do you measure this?  You need a human to see when a direction is given and if it is followed.  You could add in the amount of prompting needed for him to follow a direction.

It could be broken down.  If there are issues with him 'taking out your math book and turning to page XX' and a goal of 80% compliance, this could be a more concrete goal but you'd still need a person in the classroom keeping track if what happens when the class is instructed to do this.

If this only happened in math, you might want to look at a math disability but if this happens with many things, you might want to see if there is a glitch in how he understands verbal commands or if he's not focusing on what the adults in the room are saying.  I've seen goals where 'student will follow directions with no more than 3 prompts in 80% of opportunities observed' is what the IEP says.  This would still be staff observation that gathers the data on how the student is doing with the goal.

If "staff observation" is rubbing you the wrong way, how would you propose the school measure progress toward this goal?

Thanks for your response.   It never bothered me until last school year when, for the first time, my son had major issues at the school.  He loved school, but was begging to stay home.  Having been in the district for 15 years, I had peers check in on him.  What I heard was outrageous... isolation, talking down to him, using his accommodations as leverage, and so on.  A staff member even asked him why he came to school and that he should stay home.  When I got the proposed PLAAFP you could feel the angst they had for him.  The "staff observations" stated that he could not do what the goal said... when he could and it could be proven.  Their emotions got in the way of their objectivity.  That is the reason I hoped there was another way to collect that data.  I don't have another suggestion, that is why I came to this forum.  So you know, I did contact the counselor, principal, etc. and literally got no response.  I am aware I have the law on my side, but the law can't make the teachers like him...well, at the least, be fair to him.  I can't worry all day every day.  I pulled him out and homeschooled him since I am not currently teaching.  He made several request for school during the summer which mean a lot since he is verbally limited.  He has autism, Tourette's, speech delay and IDD.  I have him in another school now and everything is back to normal.  I am trying to trust, but it's hard after what we went through (there was so much more I didn't share). I didn't mean any disrespect to teachers who do data via observation.  I have mad respect for all educational staff, especially in the special population.  I am trying not to let last year affect my moving forward, my question about the observation data was a result of it creeping back in to my thoughts...but I'm working on that one day at a time. Again, thanks for responding.  You actually gave me the idea and asking for the chart/documentation in which they track the observations (something I may have thought of at the annual IEP, but I pulled him before it happened) ... THAT would give me some peace of mind.  I pray we never have to worry about it again.  Just gathering knowledge and opinions just in case we do.  

If there is staff prejudice, I can see how the observations will be biased.  They might look at the non-compliance which is more noticeable - although this would show he's regressed and might need more services.