Parent training for online school

EmilyM

Question

I'm a teacher for a virtual school, and I have two kids getting evaluated for spectrum education. I'm fairly confident IEPs will be put in place for both, not to count chickens early.

However, it's virtual school with no in-person option. Based on interactions so far, I think some regular parent training on how to work with their kids beyond the standard school training might be in order.

But I'm not sure what that would look like. Any ideas or resources.

1 answer to this question

If parent training is needed, you have a few options in a virtual school.  You can hire someone local to the parent and do in-person training at their place of residence or a library or other public building.  You can do training over Zoom (or similar platform) which could be for just for these parents or a group of parents with similar needs.  This can be done by school personnel or someone the school hires.  My county does parent training but this is more-so geared toward parents found to be abusive or neglectful toward their children.  It's free and they make sessions available to anyone.  It might not be as targeted to these parent's needs since you're inferring they need autism-specific training.  Another option is a book club with virtual meeting.  A book like Ross Greene's The Explosive Child is a great parenting book for every parent.  (He also wrote Raising Human Beings.  I haven't read this one but I'd recommend it too.)

School social worker could also work with families on this on an as-needed basis.  I think getting the point across that these are required for the parents is going to be the hard part.

• Thanks 1