Questions about next year...

D.W.

Question

My son is 3, he taught himself all the 8 planets, and the dwarf planets. He's currently teaching himself the states and interested in geography. He does show some early signs of dyslexia, but I just found out the way I parent is naturally in a "multisensory" way. 

We have a family history of giftedness and dyslexia. His sister is 5. She was the same way at 2&3 and was very excited to start school. I didn't anticipate any school issues, but they happened and are still happening. 

When we got her psychological testing done we got my son's done aswell. 

My question is should I include any of this information during enrollment of pre-k in 2023? Or should I let him have his own experience in school first? 

I just don't want to assume he'll have school issues, but I also want to set him up for the most positive experience. 

Any advice is appreciated 💕

3 answers to this question

• Moderators

It's up to you whether you want to list the info on enrollment paperwork and share the info/recommendations you've received so far with the school. Would your child be attending a public school Pre-K or a private Pre-K? If there are concerns that your child may need special education under one or more of the 13 categories for special education, you can always ask your district to evaluate him to see if he's eligible for an IEP. If he's not eligible for an IEP, but may need some accommodations in a public program, you could ask for a 504 plan.  You know your child's strengths and challenges best.

• Like 1

From what I've been able to uncover about dyslexia, it cannot be diagnosed until age 5.5.  It wouldn't hurt to mention there is a family history of dyslexia when he starts preschool so they can gather data on any struggles that would point to a diagnosis at age 5.5.

• Moderators

If the pre-K enrollment asks for medical family history, I would include the information about dyslexia there.  If not, I would include it anywhere you can, such as if there is a section for "other."  Not in any kind of a big "neon sign" way - just listing the relatives who had dyslexia.  I would not mention anything about your opinion that he is "showing early signs."  At this point, your goal is to put the school on notice, without telling them how to do their job, since you're not at that point yet.  Keep it friendly.  Depending on the results of the psychological testing (does it report "dyslexia tendencies," "possibility of dyslexia in the future," etc.?  If so, I would attached it to the enrollment form.  Again, not making a big deal out of it, but it could be very helpful in the future if you need to ask for special education services and/or accommodations to have put the school on notice early on.