Inference issues

Smiley74

What might be an underlying reason(s) for difficulty making inferences? I read the blog article on inference goals, but am curious what “diagnosis” might warrant inference goals?  Currently no learning disability diagnosis. Processing speed is just much higher than working memory. 

• Administrators

Does the child have difficulty making inferences....or are they making inferences, but coming to conclusions that are different from what most NTs would infer?

High processing speed can sometimes point to anxiety.

It sounds like you may want to pursue a neuropsych.

https://adayinourshoes.com/neuropsych-evals-and-your-iep-do-you-need-it-how-to-get-one/

https://adayinourshoes.com/inference-definition/

Processing speed is over 99th percentile. Already have the anxiety  and inattentive diagnosis too.  I’m trying to figure out if there’s something else at play or if bad inferences stem from the existing Dx. There are accommodations already in place that should be addressing the high processing speed and forcing slow down in reading comprehension activities, but I’m not entirely sure they’re being implemented. I noticed questions requiring inferences seemed to be more wrong than right. It didn’t seem to matter if the lexile was below or at instructional level regarding making correct inferences. 

This mismatch often goes with Dyslexia, but there is no way to know based in this information if you need that DX. I agree that a thorough eval may be really helpful.   

Based on the infromation given, "forcing slow down" is not a good accomodation for this.  "Just slow down" is a misunderstanding of the complexity of what is happening in the child's brain. Working memory issues call for appropriate strategies like using bullet points or graphic organizers.  There should be scaffolding questions that help the child orient. I would double check the accomodation list and make sure it's appropriate and researched based. 

CM

On 11/5/2022 at 2:41 PM, Christy McGuire said:

This mismatch often goes with Dyslexia, but there is no way to know based in this information if you need that DX. I agree that a thorough eval may be really helpful.   

Based on the infromation given, "forcing slow down" is not a good accomodation for this.  "Just slow down" is a misunderstanding of the complexity of what is happening in the child's brain. Working memory issues call for appropriate strategies like using bullet points or graphic organizers.  There should be scaffolding questions that help the child orient. I would double check the accomodation list and make sure it's appropriate and researched based. 

In a test environment, what would those strategies look like?  Current accommodations are pretty standard -additional time, keep extraneous sounds to minimum, use planner (but not all tests are written in it, most days are blank), make sure question is being read versus guessing/check for comprehension 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:47 PM, Smiley74 said:

In a test environment, what would those strategies look like?  Current accommodations are pretty standard -additional time, keep extraneous sounds to minimum, use planner (but not all tests are written in it, most days are blank), make sure question is being read versus guessing/check for comprehension 

Well, this is where a good diagnosis will help you narrow it down. Requiring testing to be on paper that the student can write on, or requiring to be electronic might help. Having tests read alloud might help.  

CM