Transition to 504 vs Revoke IEP?

D.W.

Question

Happy Friday everyone. 

I wish I could go into the weekend with good news...

My daughter doesn't feel safe in her class or her school and they died out request for classroom change and school change 😔

We have an option personally to go to another district, but trying to exhaust all our options. 

Has anyone successfully transitioned from IEP to 504 only?

Or has anyone successfully revoked an IEP and just used informal accomodations? 

Our IEP is an SLD but her last report card says shes at grade level? 

5 answers to this question

What’s making her feel unsafe at school/ class? We have personally not ever transitioned off an IEP, did they re test all her levels? Do you feel she is at grade level?  We had to file for an IEE, and go through due process for my oldest and they found she still qualified. What’s making you not want go to another district if you have that available? Have you been in contact with the district your in or just the school? If she needs accommodations I would not make them informal, if you have trouble with them now you will have way more if it’s not legally binding. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Katiel said:

What’s making her feel unsafe at school/ class? We have personally not ever transitioned off an IEP, did they re test all her levels? Do you feel she is at grade level?  We had to file for an IEE, and go through due process for my oldest and they found she still qualified. What’s making you not want go to another district if you have that available? Have you been in contact with the district your in or just the school? If she needs accommodations I would not make them informal, if you have trouble with them now you will have way more if it’s not legally binding. 

Incident with a teacher. My daughter got pushed into a shelf. School said it's an accident. My daughter said it was on purpose 😔

Gas money. & Also no guarantee the other district is any better. We thought this one was "the best of the best" 🤷‍♀️

We tried to request classroom change and school change but told no due to IEP. IEP team wants to fight us on this. We don't see the IEP helping our daughter, we see it helping the school using every meeting as a delay tactic. 

It's really difficult because we thought with the IEP we'd have more power as parents. More protection, but more incidents have happened to our daughter since the IEP has started vs before. The general education teacher doesn't take it seriously and passes everything off to the sped teachers 😔

So we're wondering if we take away the IEP if then we can finally get a classroom change. We don't understand why we can't when 5 other children have been changed in my daughter's class 🤷‍♀️

• Administrators

Special education is a service, not a place. There's no (valid) reason to not change a classroom "because she has an IEP." It's administratively convenient for them to not make the change, that's all.

You do have your procedural safeguards--those will not be available to you with a 504.

• Thanks 1

On 11/6/2022 at 5:36 AM, Lisa Lightner said:

Special education is a service, not a place. There's no (valid) reason to not change a classroom "because she has an IEP." It's administratively convenient for them to not make the change, that's all.

You do have your procedural safeguards--those will not be available to you with a 504.

Thank you. 😔

This is how we understood it to be aswell. We weren't interested in changing placement from pull out to full time special education. We were interested in a change of the general education classroom. 

Today we made the decision to submit a letter of revocation. 

The response we got was "We are reviewing your request and will send the PWN no later than the end of this week. " 

I've been contacting my local parent to parent and my state department of education. I don't see any guidelines on why they're delaying the discontinuation of special education services. I understand prior written notice means in a timely manner but it's a template, and the IEP computer system only needs a system administrator to remove the student from the database. 

We did this because the school was using IEP meetings as a delay tactic for answer our parent concerns. 

Now the superintendent and the school principal is saying that we can't address any of our parent concerns while the IEP is in place 🤷‍♀️

• Moderators

If you revoked consent for all special education services, the district is required to send you a PWN. Lisa has info outlining what happens when consent for special education is revoked, including the district preparing their PWN, at https://adayinourshoes.com/can-a-parent-refuse-special-education-services-what-happens-next/. As Lisa mentioned, by revoking consent for special education, your child loses all procedural safeguards provided by having an IEP.