Impulse control goals?

Tab

Question

Our ASD ADHD GenEd 9yo struggles with impulse control.  I would like to get some ideas of goals or accommodations that could help.

An example: the class was going to do an activity that involved using candy pumpkins. The class was ‘clearly told that they were not to eat the pumpkins because different kids would be touching them.’  Our daughter went to get hers and immediately popped it into her mouth. The teacher asked her about it and she lied and was asked to open her mouth and of course, there it was. She was not allowed to participate in the fun activity and had to do a computer Math program instead. 

This is just 1 example. She’s not defiant with teachers, she would not have purposely gone against the rules. I don’t condone lying but I understand why she did and I hate that she was excluded. 
Thank-you. 

• Like 1

3 answers to this question

I have been using Dr Ross Greens CPS framework for a while now. It’s far too much to explain but do look it up.  I was able to speak with my sons school and have them agree to use it too ( just with him) 

It basically works under the principal that kids do well if they can , and if not then there is something getting in the way of doing so.  It works on you finding the answers from your child and as a parent ( or teacher) not guessing or deciding for them. 
it’s not easy at first and I’m no means perfect at it but I try ! 
google Lives in the balance. 

It was not your daughter’s fault in my opinion. There was a reason she did what she did and why she lied. Working on the what’s and why’s would have been a better use of her time than the extra maths as punishment won’t get to the route of anything or help her make a better choice next time. 
Again just my opinion ( I don’t want to be upsetting anyone!).  

• Thanks 2

Accommodation ideas:

Manipulatives would be delivered in containers to add a step of access.

Student would receive materials in the later time of distribution to shorten the time between receipt and activity.

Student will have some sort of signal as a reminder to wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

I don't like it when lying is treated like a character flaw. Most of the time, it's self-preservation. But, that's a very large bias to overcome in our society.

https://adayinourshoes.com/lying-adhd-autism-anxiety/

• Thanks 2