Who is my LEA?

Kristen

Question

Question for you: I spoke with the Assistant to Special Education Services in my town about an LEA at my IEP meetings, and I was told the LEA is the building principal-- does that make sense? I'm not sure how to proceed if this *doesn't* make sense. I'm asking because I want to petition for a scribe for my child at our IEP meeting next week. He's in 6rh grade and notes are not getting done, and in some cases his teacher is writing the notes in his notebook.  not getting

3 answers to this question

Not much to go on but I'll try my best.  The LEA is the person who works for the public school that pays for your child's special education who attends your IEP meetings who has the decision-making authority to spend the public school's money on your child's IEP services.  (Sorry that it ended up  as a run-on sentence.)  I've had that person be a sp ed supervisor, principal or guidance counselor.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2022 at 11:51 AM, Kristen said:

Question for you: I spoke with the Assistant to Special Education Services in my town about an LEA at my IEP meetings, and I was told the LEA is the building principal-- does that make sense? I'm not sure how to proceed if this *doesn't* make sense. I'm asking because I want to petition for a scribe for my child at our IEP meeting next week. He's in 6rh grade and notes are not getting done, and in some cases his teacher is writing the notes in his notebook.  not getting

17 hours ago, JSD24 said:

Not much to go on but I'll try my best.  The LEA is the person who works for the public school that pays for your child's special education who attends your IEP meetings who has the decision-making authority to spend the public school's money on your child's IEP services.  (Sorry that it ended up  as a run-on sentence.)  I've had that person be a sp ed supervisor, principal or guidance counselor.

Thank you! I was told it was the building principal, and wanted to make sure that made sense, as my child has been two schools in the same district throughout the lifetime of his IEP, and I haven't seen a person "follow" from one school to the next. I plan to ask for a scribe, and don't want to be given the run around at the meeting this week. 

Thank you again for your answer!

The LEA may not always be the same person. Since it is simply someone that has been given the authority to make decisions on behalf of the district, in one meeting it could be the principal, in another it could be the caseworker, and in another it may be a special ed supervisor. I usually ask the team to clarify who will be attending as the LEA prior to the meeting.

Michigan mother of two with IEPs, and owner of MI Student Advocacy Services. Trying to change the world one IEP at a time.