Looking for a service to analyze testing results

HighSchoolParent

Question

Hi, I'm looking for someone to look at my child's testing results, help me understand them, and make educational recommendations. I know a neuropsych evaluation will do this, but I cannot afford a full neuropsych eval so I am wondering if there is a similar service that will use existing testing results. So far the places I have contacted will only do that kind of analysis and reporting on tests they have done themselves.

In the past year my child has taken:

WISC

WIAT

TOWL

CELF

BRIEF

WMI

BOT

His results were all over the map, ranging from below the 10th percentile in some areas and above the 80th in others. His school isn't providing much help with this, probably because if they say he needs something they will be on the hook for providing it.

Is there any organization or consulant that does this?

5 answers to this question

• Moderators

Did the school do all of the assessments listed, or have other providers?

If any of the above assessments were done privately within the past year, could you follow up with those providers and ask them to explain the tests? (For example, if a private SLP administered the CELF, could you follow up with them and ask them to explain it in more detail?)

If the school administered all these tests, they should answer all questions you have regarding the tests, and that shouldn't cost you anything but your time. You can ask to review the protocols with the person who administered the test. Protocols are copyrighted and the school doesn't have to give you a copy of those. However, answer sheets with your child's personally identifiable information (name, student ID, etc.) make it part of their educational record, and you're entitled to copies of educational records. Check out FERPA guidelines re: access to records for all the details on that. Schools are required to discuss assessments (whether they performed them, or whether you provide them with private reports) to determine educational impact. Meaningful parent participation is a critical element of the IDEA, and it's your right to have the district help you understand the assessments so you can provide meaningful input for the development of the IEP.

I hope Lisa's info on various assessments at https://adayinourshoes.com/understanding-common-iep-assessments-iep-eligibility/ can also be helpful to you.

The school did all of the assessments except the BOT. I have already asked them for information and explanation but am looking for more. For example, my child scored in the 7th percentile in one of the WISC indexes, all they could tell me was that it was a skill that didn't directly affect education. The person who administered the test looked like she wanted to provide more information, but was cut off by the LEA. The OT said he probably scored below the 1st percentile on a portion of the VMI because he had a runny nose. I know I have a right to more details, but it would be cheaper to pay someone else to analyze the results that take my district into due process to get it from them. It sucks, it isn't best educational practice, but this is where things stand.

• Moderators

Have you written a letter of concern that you need to meet with the (list each) staff members who conducted each evaluation to get an explanation of their assessment so you can meaningfully participate in the development of the IEP? The school has to provide explanations, or they will need to write a creative PWN explaining why they refuse to explain the assessments to you. Have you considered other complaint options like an administrative review with your district's director of special education or superintendent, or filing a state complaint? Those options are free to you. 

I highly recommend the book "From Emotions to Advocacy" by Pete Wright of Wrightslaw fame. He has an entire section on how to interpret standardized testing results and use the results to develop meaningful goals and services for your child. Wrightslaw.com has just a ton of information on a wide variety of topics. It's been one of my go-to sites for years.

Michigan mother of two with IEPs, and owner of MI Student Advocacy Services. Trying to change the world one IEP at a time.