IEP Meeting soon want to feel prepared.

Starshine970

Question

Hello,

My child age 6 and in Kindergarten has an IEP meeting coming up. My other meetings in the past haven't been very successful and I as a parent haven't felt very heard. The communication between the teacher and myself has seemed to have been disconnected. His behavior communication charts (when filled out) say no concerns. However when speaking with my son he informs me of being removed from class so he can regulate emotionally. Or he has had moments where he has not followed the rules. He has come to kindergarten with three years of preschool and early education intervention therapy. His IEP is for social and emotional delay. He currently receives outside OT and she feels he could use OT time in school.  His diagnosis are ADHD, anxiety, and sensory challenges. 

My child had a behavior incident that resulted in him being suspended from school. In his progress report it has progress listed as unsatisfactory due to following directions challenges due to his suspension. And minimal progress  for emotional regulation but does not list his suspension.  I have also had to pick up my son from school before due to emotional outbursts when he was suspended I was required to come into the building as they were unable to help him de-escalate.  My concerns are that each time I have been called into the school building my child is in safe areas. Where he is able to elope, throw objects, hit others with objects, climb furniture, all making it possible to where he could cause harm to himself or others.  In those moments I was told my a staff member that they are taught to safely restrain a child. Given his sensory concerns and his dislike for physical touch that will cause his behaviors to escalate.  I had requested for an FBA in the passed. I was initially told that would be possible and it would be done. At the time I was not made aware that the people who need to give permission for such an evaluation we're not present. I was  not informed that it wasn't approved until the last IEP meeting was held which made me feel slightly blindsided. At the last IEP meeting the teacher said she will not be doing a more detailed communication log as she feels its unnecessary. Despite agreeing to it previously. 

When I bring up his examples of anxiety they are brushed off by the staff. I am repeatedly told "well most children this age have never been in school before" but that is not the situation with my child. He has had therapeutic supports and school for three years and still experiences a delay. 

I am walking towards this IEP meeting feeling as if I will have to write his own IEP goals and present data myself to get them to make effort.  A big part of me is wanting a different teacher. I understand that it is fairly late in the school year so I do not know how well that will be received. My child hates being at school. He feels miserable because he never gets to 'play'. His teacher last year was absolutely amazing. They do not do parent teacher conferences at this school unless the child is academically failing. My child is academically on par. And something as simple of asking his teacher as ways to help reinforce what he's learning is school is met with little comment and seemed unnecessary. 

3 answers to this question

• Moderators

Make sure your send your letter of parent concerns (including the behavior/FBA situation, anxiety challenges) in advance of the upcoming meeting.

Did the school state in the PWN why they felt they didn't need to conduct an FBA? Did the PWN state that the people who attended that meeting initially approved the request for the FBA, but the district later stated those individuals didn't have the authority to make that decision? Who represented the LEA in the meeting in which the FBA request was denied? 

If the teacher previously agreed to providing a more detailed communication log, but now says it's unnecessary, perhaps she's getting pushback from administration? Have you talked with the principal or a special education case manager?

• Like 1

Ouch, this sounds awful!

(1) always go with a friend who can support you!

(2) audio record any meeting

(3) file a report through an appeal procedure to the State Education Department

(4) formally request Mediation that is free and available through a local agency

(5) request in writing an Independent Individual Evaluation paid for by the school district 

(6) summarize what is happening and send copies to the Superintendent and to every Board of Education member requesting a meeting 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Jenna said:

Make sure your send your letter of parent concerns (including the behavior/FBA situation, anxiety challenges) in advance of the upcoming meeting.

Did the school state in the PWN why they felt they didn't need to conduct an FBA? Did the PWN state that the people who attended that meeting initially approved the request for the FBA, but the district later stated those individuals didn't have the authority to make that decision? Who represented the LEA in the meeting in which the FBA request was denied? 

If the teacher previously agreed to providing a more detailed communication log, but now says it's unnecessary, perhaps she's getting pushback from administration? Have you talked with the principal or a special education case manager?

The School Psych considered the FBA as a last resort and other steps should be taken instead. The principal was the LEA. The school psych was not at the meeting in which an FBA was requested.  The principal and case manager were both present when the teacher said she wouldn’t fill it out. 

He has had more incidents this time one was caught by a special education teacher. We had a meeting and this time it felt very positive. And I felt truly heard. As the special education teacher explained what she saw. And we discussed his diagnosis and what kind of challenges those present.  

I am writing my parental concerns. I am requesting pull out from Gen Ed for portions of the day. I am also going to be wanting them to discuss why this school is appropriate for him to stay. And the steps that will be taken to ensure safety. I will be requesting the special education teacher I spoke with today to attend the meeting if at all possible. 

• Like 1