Action Plan outside of the IEP

CChampine

Question

Hi all, 

I am new to this forum, so please bear with me. My 6th grader has an IEP. He has had one since he entered the public school setting at 3.  I have not had a lot of issues until the past couple years. I chalked it up to C19, and rolled with it. We just had an ammendum meeting, as he was getting tier 2 interventions and an evaluation for reading. Here is how the meeting went: 

- He tested at a 10th grade level for some of the reading skills (he was in a one on one setting, classroom environment to hectic for him.) Data shows he needs no help. 

- Data sheets on goals.. oh that's right, there was none. None of his goals had any progress monitoring done, nor was his peer to peer conflict sheet done. He has been written up 4 times that resulted in an office referral. 6 times that resulted in just teacher consequences. Behavior was somewhat documented on our daily communications sheet, but consequences/writeups was not.  His educational goals have zero data. 

- Our case manager manager (the one above our school) was not thrilled. She put in place some very specific wording and accomodations, in which we will know for sure if data is being collected. 

I am trying to come up with an action plan. We are having a regular teacher/parent/admin meeting on Monday. I am trying to have this together so that all they have to do is look at it, fill it out, and voila! I also need to add behavior in there. I have no idea how to start this. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 answer to this question

I'd stay out of helping the school develop an action plan.  They are professionals and have training on how to do this - or a least they should have been trained.  If you want to say something, you can say that you'd like to see progress reports on how your child is meeting goals on a regular basis since this is a requirement under IDEA.  For now, since the school seems to be working on getting things up to speed, you will not be filing a complaint with the state dept of special ed.  You can request to have data sent to you periodically so you can see that the school is keeping their commitment to collecting data so progress reports are available to see how your child is doing with meeting their goals.

With behavior, the school should do an FBA.  This looks at antecedent, behavior and consequence - ABC.  (Is this the action plan you're looking to design?)  To change the behavior, sometimes modifying the antecedent is where to start.  Personally, I'd start by asking your child in a non adversarial way about what's up...which is the method developed by Ross Greene and is researched to help with behaviors.  The method isn't simple but it is doable.  More info at Livesinthebalance.org.

From Lisa's site:  https://adayinourshoes.com/behavior-iep-special-education/

And:  https://adayinourshoes.com/school-fba-behavior-plan/

Does your state offer/mandate gifted education?  A student reading at an 11th grade level in 6th grade could have behaviors due to boredom.  Something to think about.  See if the school is willing to offer enrichment if this is the issue.

Hard to do an FBA and observe that the 'A' is the student is 5 grades farther along than classmates and not getting the mental stimulation to stay focused on instruction.  Not sure if Lisa lists this flaw.

Communication sheet:  List anything out of the ordinary that was a negative for the student like being sent to the office (use back of sheet if needed):__________________________________________________________