Reevaluation & IQ Test

• Moderators

Could you provide a few more details?  Under which category of disability were you hoping to find eligibility?  If Specific Learning Disability, does your state allow the discrepancy model?  What were reasons were stated and/or set out in the Prior Written Notice for denial of services?  Why does the mom want to request an IQ test?  What areas were assessed in the first evaluation?

An IQ test would be necessary if the school uses a discrepancy model (most states don't, but a few still allow it).  A high IQ can be used AFTER services are provided to argue under the Supreme Court case Endrew that progress isn't enough "in light of the child's circumstances." 

If you do ask for an IQ test, make sure it is one that is best suited for the child.  For instance, if dyslexia is a concern, you would want a non-verbal IQ test done.

19 minutes ago, Carolyn Rowlett said:

Could you provide a few more details?  Under which category of disability were you hoping to find eligibility?  If Specific Learning Disability, does your state allow the discrepancy model?  What were reasons were stated and/or set out in the Prior Written Notice for denial of services?  Why does the mom want to request an IQ test?  What areas were assessed in the first evaluation?

An IQ test would be necessary if the school uses a discrepancy model (most states don't, but a few still allow it).  A high IQ can be used AFTER services are provided to argue under the Supreme Court case Endrew that progress isn't enough "in light of the child's circumstances." 

If you do ask for an IQ test, make sure it is one that is best suited for the child.  For instance, if dyslexia is a concern, you would want a non-verbal IQ test done.

This is in the state of Missouri. The client was diagnosed with ADHD, Autism, and OCD.  On the prior written notice it states “The option to provide initial services and initial eligibility was considered, but rejected as “student” did not meet eligibility criteria for the state of Missouri in any area of special education.” I have picked apart the evaluation and do not agree with a lot of the comments.  In one area of the evaluation it states the student does not qualify but in another area the evaluation discuses all the social/academic/behavior struggles (like only completing 1/3 work).  The mom wants to request an IQ test to ensure the child is not getting bored at school instead of struggling.  The student’s younger brother (18 months apart) is in the gifted program.  Any suggestions?

• Moderators

I am in Missouri, also!  What is the next meeting for if student was denied eligibility?  You can ask for another evaluation at a meeting, but make sure your client also asks for one in writing.  They might not agree to one since they just conducted one last spring, in which case you should request an IEE.  Either way, during the eligibility meeting after the evaluation results come in, make sure they explain - using the Missouri Standards and Indicators for Other Health Impairment (ADHD and OCD) and Autism AND the data - why the student does not meet eligibility.  Also make sure the reason(s) are detailed in the PWN.  It does not sound as if the first PWN has enough detail.

As far as the IQ question, I don't see the harm in getting one in this particular scenario.  It might be very helpful to know if the student is gifted.

We are going to request another evaluation. I did find out the psychologist was an intern last year at the school who conducted the evaluation. The school said the student was not eligible for services, but every example they gave showed behavior social and academic struggles. That’s why we are going to request a new eval. I’m trying to play nice and make them seem like we are working as a team. However, we might have to request an IEE. The PWN was poorly written as well as the evaluation. The mom asked if we could request to look at the evaluation again, but I told her we want a whole new evaluation instead. Any suggestions? 

I'd ask that they do gifted testing.  IQ tends to be inherited so if a sibling is gifted, this child could be too.  The distractibility that comes with having ADHD could be getting in the way of this child demonstrating they are gifted.  A gifted assessment is generally more than just IQ so the school should do the whole assessment for gifted and not just IQ.

• Moderators

When you say the mom asked to "look at the evaluation again," does that mean she doesn't have her own copy?  The school should have provided her with her own copy.  If they did not, ask for it.  It's part of her child's educational records that she's entitled to under FERPA.

My suggestion would be to request an IEE if they don't agree to do another evaluation.  I agree with JSD24 about asking the school to do a gifted assessment.  However, a lot of times schools only do gifted assessments on students who get a certain score on standardized testing.  As JSD24 pointed out, the student's ADHD could be getting in the way of showing his/her full potential.  That leads to another suggestion:  Since it could take a while to obtain special education services (if you are able to at all), you might want to consider getting a 504 Plan in the meantime.  That could be established quicker and provide the student with accommodations for his/her disabilities of ADHD, Autism, and OCD, such as a separate, quite environment in which to take tests (both classroom and standardized).  This might help get his/her scores up enough to qualify for a gifted assessment.  But you would need to keep the accommodations in mind as you argue for special ed services - high scores with accommodations do not mean the student doesn't need specialized instruction.

I'm surprised they could do an evaluation and determine eligibility without an IQ test to begin with, especially with an autism diagnosis.  Maybe that's a state thing in Missouri?

I don't see that you get anywhere meaningful by asking them to look at the old evaluation.  If anything, the lack of IQ testing might suggest that they did not perform an adequate evaluation to begin with.  In my state it would at least.  It should at least help you make a case for requesting a new evaluation from them, I would think.

Great!  Thank you!

Another question about this case.  If the school agrees to a reevaluation for an IEP, will the student get services while the reevaluation is happening?  This is in Missouri and currently on a 504 plan.  The student was denied services last school year.  The teacher, behavior coach, and assistant principal all believe the student should be on an IEP.  The counselor and psychologist does not believe the student needs an IEP. 😩

• Moderators

Does the parent feel that ALL areas of need were comprehensively evaluated (including speech, gross motor and fine motor/sensory processing- common areas evaluated when autism may be suspected)? Why doesn't the parent want to request an IEE if the school has done a couple evaluations, and they still continue to say the student is not eligible for special education?

As Carolyn said, it doesn't sound like the initial PWN was complete.

504 accommodations aren't specially designed instruction (special education) or therapies, so a child doesn't get those things if they're not found eligible for special education. Is the child currently participating in RTI/MTSS