"IEP's are only for academic needs"

sluh

Question

I'm being told the school wants to declassify my daughter (who has a physical genetic condition) due to the fact that her condition "doesn't impact her academic needs" -- IE. she gets good grades. I'm trying to research my rights for OT, PT and functional skills, etc.

3 answers to this question

• Moderators

I am probably in a different state than you are, so what do you mean by "declassify?"  Does this mean she currently has an IEP and the school wants to take away her eligibility for special services?  If so, I would ask what has changed in terms of when she originally qualified.  If her condition impacted her academic needs then, why doesn't it now?

IMO, grades are not proof of anything.  To know for sure whether her condition impacts her academic needs, you would need an evaluation.  I'm not sure where you are in this process, but you can ask for a new evaluation every year.  Also, the IDEA requires an evaluation before a change in eligibility.

It's hard to list ways that her condition could be impacting her academic needs without knowing her specific condition, but I'm sure your research will provide answers.  However, the best thing is to have them written out in an evaluation report.  If the school refused to do an evaluation, request an Independent Educational Evaluation.

There is a section in IDEA that says schools need to teach life skills in addition to academics.  Not sure what more to say w/o knowing more about your child.  You mentioned about OT & PT.  Can she feed herself?  Can she use the bathroom w/o help?  Can she get herself around the school's campus w/o help?  Can she navigate the community independently like her same-age peers?  PT tends to be more medical but there is a place for in in school.  If the IEP is just OT & PT, a 504 with this might be appropriate.

On 2/5/2023 at 12:22 PM, Carolyn Rowlett said:

I am probably in a different state than you are, so what do you mean by "declassify?"  Does this mean she currently has an IEP and the school wants to take away her eligibility for special services?  If so, I would ask what has changed in terms of when she originally qualified.  If her condition impacted her academic needs then, why doesn't it now?

IMO, grades are not proof of anything.  To know for sure whether her condition impacts her academic needs, you would need an evaluation.  I'm not sure where you are in this process, but you can ask for a new evaluation every year.  Also, the IDEA requires an evaluation before a change in eligibility.

It's hard to list ways that her condition could be impacting her academic needs without knowing her specific condition, but I'm sure your research will provide answers.  However, the best thing is to have them written out in an evaluation report.  If the school refused to do an evaluation, request an Independent Educational Evaluation.