How many Goals in an IEP (pre-K & K)

Liams Dad

Question

I know there is likely a variable answer.

backgound - Son turning 3 in two weeks - transitioning out of Early Learning Services into School District and now eligible to join a Peer Program of NT / ND students. He is Level 2 ASD - hyperlexic, great academics   - it being a Covid timed birth has had little or no social interaction and his support needs are on the Social, Emotional requirements in addition to the regular Toddler pre-school support needs.

He will be attending 2.5 hrs per day for 4 days each week.

I prepared for the IEP using A.D.I.O.S process and using his diagnosis and SD eligibility report  and from that I had his areas of support

Adaptive - Self Care

Social Emotional - split as Peer Interaction and emotional Regulation / development

split out into 

4 - Self Care

4 - Social Emotional

(See attachment) 

BUT in each goal I had 2 or 3 specific objectives created expending on initiation and change vs a generic statement affected by those differences.

The school district accepted the Self Care items but said they only typically work on 2-3 Goals in a year and viewed  all of my sub level task as separate Goals. 

How many Goals is it reasonable to expect to have in an IEP for 10 hrs per week Pre School ? 

appreciate any insight 

Cheers Liam’s Dad 

Copy of IEP Goals - Draft 1A.xlsx

1 answer to this question

• Moderators

The short answer to your question is that there is no standard amount of goals for a child in a particular program. 

The way the IEP process is supposed to work is that the school will evaluate the child's needs, and once the needs and the educational impact are determined within the ETR and present levels, then goals should be created to address those needs. The amount of and types of goals created depend on each student's needs and what each IEP team decides. The IEP should address all areas of need.

No IEP is perfect; you just have to decide if your child's is adequate and addresses all their needs. If you don't feel that the IEP adequately addresses your child's needs, write a letter of your concerns and request another IEP meeting.