Jump to content
  • 0

Parents with Disabilities



I really didn’t know what forum topic to put this under, but since children with disabilities may become parents with disabilities, who in turn then have their own children, who may have disabilities and IEPs, I put my question here. 

Is the IEP and 504 process completely focused around the student? What if the parent needs some sort of accommodation in the development or execution of the child’s plan?  Maybe it’s written only communication because of a hearing issue or more frequent progress communication due to anxiety?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 1

The parent's disability is covered under ADA.  If they need written communication or a translator of some sort (ASL for deafness) the school needs to provide reasonable accommodations.  Obviously, they would need to say this before the meeting.  A parent with memory issues or who has difficulty taking notes could record a meeting as an accommodation, for example.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use