Data Collection Concern

Laura

Question

The school team devised an elaborate note card system for data collection. My son is being tasked with this data collection. I’m not sure how to address this with the team.

Background: my son has significant executive functioning deficits. At his last IEP meeting a couple weeks ago, his executive functioning goal was changed to “When provided fading supports (visual, verbal, gestural), student will use his executive function skills to complete academic tasks in the classroom and tutoring room, for 80% accuracy, over three consecutive weeks, as measured by running records.” The objectives for this goal are broken down to initiating, sequencing, executing, and prioritizing the academic tasks.

The school has him using a daily note card to record assignments each day. It’s organized by class period.  He writes his assignments next to each class period number.  The current note card system has been successful and he uses it. The new card system has pictures one side and the letters P E S I next to each class period. I think he’s supposed to circle a letter for the executive function task he is working on or did or something.  I’m actually not sure what he’s supposed to do with this and he is unable to explain it.

I understand that they have to collect data, but they are tasking him with it. I feel like this burdens him with an additional executive functioning task. They tried to say that this is for him to 'self monitor'. But, self monitoring is not part of his executive functioning goals. I’m not sure what to ask or how to address this.

2 answers to this question

I am not sure how old your son is, but at some point is does seem appropriate for him to take ownership of his organizational system so he can start internalizing strategies to use in higher grades and vocationally. I wonder if this is the intention here? It sounds like a further conversation is needed about what they mean by 'self monitor' and if he is at an age and stage where it is appropriate for him to be owning more of the organizational tasks.

Disclosure: I am a parent, not an advocate or special ed teacher. This is just my opinion to be used if helpful or discarded if not.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators

I agree with High School Parent's response that your son's age is relevant to this discussion, and that at some point his supports should be reduced and he should take charge of own organizational system.  However, it doesn't sound like that is what is going on here.  He should not be in charge of data collection for his IEP.  Data collection and progress monitoring falls under school district responsibilities, not the student's.  Again, I agree with High School Parent that if he needs something for "self-monitoring," a specific goal should be stated for this.

Finally, given that neither your son nor you understand the daily note card system, what he is supposed to do with it, and why he is doing it (it can't be for data collection or self-monitoring for reasons given in first paragraph), you need to request an IEP meeting to seek clarification on these items.

• Thanks 1