Missing School Days Due to No 1:1 Aide

Rachel

Question

Hello! My son has a 1:1 aide per his IEP. If his aide is absent and they cannot find a substitute, then he is not allowed to go to school. Is this typical for a school to just say your child has to stay home at the last minute? Should this situation be covered in his IEP? (Perhaps to point to the need for compensatory education if X days are missed?) Thanks!

4 answers to this question

• Moderators

Document each time this happens with an email to the school rep who calls you telling you your child can't go to school confirming their conversation with you. How is the school providing education and any related services to your child while they can't attend school due to the district not allowing them at school? I'd recommend an IEP meeting to discuss how this will be addressed when the aide is absent, if it's not already addressed in the IEP.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jenna said:

I'd recommend an IEP meeting to discuss how this will be addressed when the aide is absent, if it's not already addressed in the IEP.

Yeah this is what I was thinking should be the next step too. I was just wondering also if this happens to other kids sometimes. 

Just an FYI.  If the IEP say aide from 9 to 3.  The school has to follow the IEP.  If he were to go & there was no aide, the school is out of compliance with the IEP.  And then you can file a state complaint that the IEP wasn't followed.  Same goes when the IEP says nurse and the nurse is out.  You can request make-up days for the days that he missed due to no aide.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:17 PM, JSD24 said:

Just an FYI.  If the IEP say aide from 9 to 3.  The school has to follow the IEP.  If he were to go & there was no aide, the school is out of compliance with the IEP.  And then you can file a state complaint that the IEP wasn't followed.  Same goes when the IEP says nurse and the nurse is out.  You can request make-up days for the days that he missed due to no aide.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:17 PM, JSD24 said:

Okay, thank you!