Strange sentence in testing results report

HighSchoolParent

Question

I was looking over my child's WISC-V report and saw something that looked odd. The report described what each index measures, then my child's results. When describing the visual-spatial index it says that according to research, the visual-spatial index does not have a large role in academics. It seems odd to understate the importance of an entire WISC index. All of my research shows that it does play a large role in academics, especially in the upper grades. 

Is this a typical statement on a student's WISC report, or is it specific to my child's school? 

6 answers to this question

I think visual-spatial is huge in schools.  I took mechanical drawing, organic chemistry & geometry.  These all use a lot of visual-spatial.  Always good to ask for a copy of the research they are referring to in this statement.  Visual-spatial is also used in PE.  It also helps you stay out of another person's personal space.

My son has a WISC V visual spatial score that has been 16-24 points lower across 4 different test administrations, even though it was still in the "average" range.  This discrepancy was validated by supplemental testing.  Our private neuropsychologist said that for him, this indicates difficulties with integrating information and understanding part whole relationships.  He finds it hard to recognize and use the larger organizing structures for information and create his own structure to keep himself organized.  According to his report, this causes issues with higher level executive control / functioning and can contribute to generalized anxiety and social perception issues.  In my experience, the school spent years putting band aids (excessive accommodations) on a problem that needed stitches (specialized instruction).

Are your child's visual spatial scores a lot lower than the other scores (especially verbal) and are you seeing similar results on non-WISC testing?  If so and you're seeing executive functioning or anxiety issues, then the visual spatial issues could be playing a role in this and are likely to have a bigger impact on academics as your child gets older and is expected to be more independent.

Definitely request their sources for this "research".  And please don't let anyone at the school convince you that your strongest gut instincts about your own child are wrong--because they probably aren't.  If your gut is telling you that the school is being really dodgy about something--they probably are.  

Thank you for this response, both the information about how your son's relatively lower VSI affects him and to trust my gut instincts.

In my son's case, his VSI is both much lower than his other scores and objectively low (not in or anywhere near the average range).

When I posted my question I was wondering if my school uses a WISC report template and the sentence minimizing the importance of the VSI was standard verbiage in that template. But that doesn't seem to be the case, and I haven't received a reply to my request to see the research. I'm reluctant to say any more here because I think I find/retain an advocate who can work with me directly on all my concerns with his IEP.