How is it determined if I should pursue services at age 3?

EmilyM

Question

My youngest is currently in early intervention for speech and I like to think it's going well. We have the better part of a year before she would transition and I'm honestly not sure what I should be looking for. Would the Early Intervention folks give recommendations on this?

2 answers to this question

EI should have a warm handoff to IEP/school services - at least that's how things work in my area.  EI uses a medical model while IEPs use a school model so the level of services does tend to drop given the metric they use to see if a child qualifies for services.

My twins qualified for speech at age 2 but they caught up by the time they were 3.  Maybe your child will too.

Typically there would be a transition meeting to go from an IFSP to an IEP, if necessary. The team would review existing data, see if additional evaluations need to be performed and determine whether the child is still eligible for services. If so then you would go through the IEP process together to determine the needs of the child, services, goals, placement, etc. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Michigan mother of two with IEPs, and owner of MI Student Advocacy Services. Trying to change the world one IEP at a time.