Union rep re IEP issue?

Isabel

Question

Recently an inappropriate comment by a staff member was made at my IEP meeting. Admin was present and heard it, and it was also recorded. I also emailed admin to let them know I wasn’t okay with it. Admin set up a meeting to clarify what was said and staff member wanted to apologize. One day before the meeting I was informed that staff member was bringing a union rep. I declined to meet in this way as I believe it to be inappropriate to have a union rep present to discuss a matter that occurred during my child’s  IEP.  Can union reps even be allowed do this? Isn’t this a FERPA issue?

2 answers to this question

It sounds like the meeting isn't actually an IEP meeting, so I don't think FERPA applies. If administration is present at this meeting, I could see why a teacher would want a union rep present. You can always end the meeting if your child's information is brought up, but unless your state laws limit union power I don't think there's much you can do about the rep other than refuse to attend the meeting.