Communication with the IEP team

Nittimom

Question

Hello, I need and appreciate help with two of my concerns:

1. we had been having a difficult time with the district to finalize the annual IEP. Mainly because they were not giving us sufficient time to finish and we ended up having 6 IEP starting September. We finished finally. I would appreciate if someone can help me if we can request compensatory education request. I know they are not obligated, however my child lost almost whole school year without working on the new goals. They told me they would like to hear what I am looking for. They also said that even if it took 6 months, it’s mainly because they didn’t have signed IEP and my child was receiving the services in stay put. 

2. The teacher has been a great support for my child and us and she usually help us with everything. However, coming from a non English speaking background some of the questions I asked twice. She responded and when I asked again she copied all IEP members and at the end said she would like all correspondence only in email moving forward. She may send announcements pictures etc in communicating app but only use email to respond Any questions. I am okay with it but because it came after a certain incident I am little worried and feel restricted. Additionally the app communication is easy for quick access. Is it normal? 
sorry for the long post. 

5 answers to this question

• Moderators

Your child had an IEP previously, and the district did not create the RIEP by their deadline, and was around 6 months late in finalizing the RIEP? In my state, the district has an administrative deadline to ensure the RIEP is in place when the previous IEP expires. If they do not, you could consider your procedural safeguard options.

Did the district provide services when they didn't have a valid IEP in place? Does your state require parent agreement on a RIEP before it can be implemented? 

You may want to review Lisa's posts on comp ed at https://adayinourshoes.com/comp-ed-compensatory-education/#h-how-do-i-get-comp-ed-for-my-child

If you generally have a good relationship with the teacher, I'd first suggest having a phone or in-person conversation with her regarding her request that you only communicate via email if you feel email is too restrictive. Perhaps the school's administration pressured the teacher to request that communication be via email? You could  reach out to an advocate or the Parent Training Information Center in your state to get their thoughts on such a request. Some families prefer email communication with schools. 

Thank you for your response. 

Yes the meeting started in September 29th, they we had continuum on November 9th December 1st, January 31st, February 14th. Then we were scheduled for March 7th and it was canceled due to speech therapist having emergency and it was rescheduled for March 20th. She didn’t show up in that meeting too and we had it another speech therapist. We finalized it and I still have to sign in. She did receive services in stay out and not the proposed goals and services. Yes they do require parents agreeing before placing new IEP. 

yes she is a great teacher. I will try to communicate. It’s not that emails are restrictive but it came after certain situation. And her communication seems so limited that was not the case earlier. I feel like very pressured in communicating with any of the IEP members personally. Initially the program manager asked me to copy whole team each time I have any questions with any member of the IEP team. I refused to do so. 

• Moderators

Since you have a generally good relationship with the teacher, my suggestion would be to just request a quick conversation directly with the teacher re: the communication. 

If you haven't already done so, be sure to review Lisa's post on comp ed at https://adayinourshoes.com/comp-ed-compensatory-education/#h-evaluation-reevaluation-issues, and then maybe reach out to an advocate or attorney in your area if you are considering requesting comp ed so they can review your state's special education requirements and all the details of your situation to help you decide whether or not to make a request for comp ed.

Thank you so much. I would read about the compensatory education. 

about talking to the teacher, she asked me to email her for meeting request, I did. And she responded copying the admin and rep, that what are my specific concerns and that she and the admin can look over their schedules and let us know or I can email her my concerns for a quicker response.