Placement: Self Contained / Inclusion

meredithlevind

Question

Hoping you all can help me…. 
We are currently in a developmental delayed free standing preschool (paying privately), my son is currently in a self-contained program within the school.

We are moving to the county this school is in and the IEP that was created within the same state -different county most likely will be transferred over with little or no issues.  We are seeking a more inclusion classroom next this next school year.

School currently says that they don’t have any openings at the moment in an inclusion classroom.  

wondering if anyone has a generated a letter that they might share that I can send to the administrators with requesting formally…

2 answers to this question

• Moderators

Just to clarify, you are currently in a private pre-school and it is this same private pre-school that says there are no openings in an inclusive classroom for the next school year?  If they are saying this to all students who are asking for a place in the inclusive classroom, I'm not sure there is anything you can do about that given it's a private school.  But this is SO not my area of expertise, so if anyone else has ideas, please share.

• Moderators

As Carolyn mentioned, if you could please provide more details on the current school setting and the setting you intend for next year, that would be helpful. Is your child attending a school primarily for those with developmental disabilities under a scholarship program- and therefore was placed there at parent choice waiving FAPE? Or, did your local public school place your child in this program on an out-of-district placement at public expense- where FAPE would still be required?

Will your child be in PreK again next year, or in Kindergarten? Are there typical peer models in some of the PreK and/or Kindergarten classrooms at the school?