How are accommodation for notes worded on IEP

Lara

• Moderators

I'm seen (and drafted) many of these accommodations.  It depends somewhat on what you are wanting because you can ask for fill-in-the-blank notes where the student just writes in key words so he/she doesn't look different from the rest of the class taking notes AND it helps them pay attention to the material being presented.  But here is my suggested wording for a "generic" provision of notes:

Student will be provided with notes from all material presented by teachers whether originally given in written form (i.e., on a white board) or verbally (i.e., during a lecture).

Another accommodation you could ask for would be allowing the student to tape record class lectures.

30 minutes ago, Carolyn Rowlett said:

I'm seen (and drafted) many of these accommodations.  It depends somewhat on what you are wanting because you can ask for fill-in-the-blank notes where the student just writes in key words so he/she doesn't look different from the rest of the class taking notes AND it helps them pay attention to the material being presented.  But here is my suggested wording for a "generic" provision of notes:

Student will be provided with notes from all material presented by teachers whether originally given in written form (i.e., on a white board) or verbally (i.e., during a lecture).

Another accommodation you could ask for would be allowing the student to tape record class lectures.

That is helpful. What would you add to that for wording when the student is being asked to take notes from reading pages of text also. The student can't focus on writing notes and absorb the content at the same time.

• Moderators

That's a tough one.  Depends on if the team thinks that skill is needed and wants to develop that skill.  Because in that scenario, he could take more time than trying to take notes from a board or lecture (where he definitely can't focus on both writing and content being presented).  But then you run into not wanting him to spend an exorbitant amount of time on homework.  Maybe see if he can just highlight text pages?  Also, using speech-to-text for the notes would be an option so he doesn't have to write them out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Within my son's IEP (dyslexia, ADHD, Speech Sound Production (aka stutter) & he's 14/8th grade.  We also have:

• Visual cues to highlight key words/phrases on assignments
  • Provide student with skeletal (or guided notes) notes for lecture format lessons, textbook assignments, and science labx.  Provide study guides at least 3-5 days in advance

Thanks.

• 4 months later...
On 8/30/2023 at 11:48 PM, Lara said:

Wow! That is great. Especially appreciate the study guide 3-5 days in advance.

Our school would only agree to provide notes if the wording "when available" followed. 

Thanks for your reply. 

I would follow up and ask them how they can accommodate his disability when notes aren't available.  It's not like he can turn off the disability to accommodate the availability of notes.  Will they allow a recording device?  (IMO, the school should record the class and then play it for software that does closed captioning so there is a written version of what was said.  It can then be printed out or your child could be given a soft copy.)

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of Use