Is ARD really necessary right now?

Megan Ramirez

Question

We had my son’s annual ARD (for speech) in October.  I just got an email from the speech pathologist saying that because we did his ARD in early October that we had to complete an annual ARD before the end of the school year.  It’s only been 7 months, so why would we need another ARD before the end of the school year?

2 answers to this question

• Moderators

I assume you are in Texas, since you're using the acronym ARD?  If so (or for whatever state you are in), you might want to go to your state department of education's website and look under "special education" for rules, regulations, and policies regarding the timing of annual ARD's.  There might even be a parent handbook/guide for special education.

Having said that, from a general, non-state specific standpoint, I don't see the need for this.  At least not another annual meeting.  Sometimes school districts (and parents) like to have a meeting before the end of the school year to discuss transition to the next grade, especially if the student is transferring to a new building (middle school, high school), but it doesn't sound like this is what they're doing.

Will he be in a different building next year?  Schools have their own policies on this.  I had this happen with my son - not a speech IEP nor are we in TX.  (Sometimes they are just looking to make sure they don't have a bunch of IEP meetings that have to happen around the same time so they do some earlier than required.)