SPED director didn't know what PWN was...

I spoke with the director of special education at my daughter's district today about how I was treated at her IEP meeting. I told her I requested prior written notice with an explanation of why my proposal was refused and she said "how could we provide prior notice before the meeting was held?" I said prior means before a change is implemented or refused, and she said "ok..." I said "I can send you the language from IDEA if that helps". She didn't like that suggestion...

• Like 1

It happens.  I would send them a link to what they should already know.  I have a friend who printed out IDEA & gave it to the sp ed director.  This was a bigger school district (1000's of students).  Put it in writing so you have a paper trail.  You can start the email:  Confirming our conversation on 5/11 when I requested Prior Written Notice.  This is a link to what PWN is...

• Like 2

my email and response from the director of sped- they still aren't getting it!!!

I again requested prior written notice, per sec. 303.421 of IDEA, stating the proposal of 100 minutes in the classroom and 160 minutes of classroom was refused as well as the reasons for that refusal, including what evaluation data was used to determine the refusal.  The prior written notice used in CCSD21 is the notification of conference and providing the evaluation report three days prior to the initial evaluation IEP.  We do not send home a services and placement page.  The services and placement are a conversation in the IEP meeting.  

• Confused 1

• Moderators

You need to get on your state department of education's website and see if they have a list of when Prior Written Notices are required (some do).  If you can't find one, call the compliance section of special education and ask if a Prior Written Notice would be required in this instance.  If yes, get the name of the compliance officer you spoke with, ask if there if is a policy or guideline that you could print out/see, and forward both to the director of special education.

• Like 2