"Learning boundary" vs Learning disability

Morning thoughts: came across the term "learning boundary" instead of learning disability. It's an interesting paradigm shift. Part of me likes the shift away from dis--ability. But struggling with the idea of boundary being a limit/line you can't cross and thinking "can only go this far". On the other other hand... part of me thinks teachers would have a better idea if we used the word boundary... basically this is how far the kid can go on his own and he needs your help from there. (A softer line in the sand perhaps not a hard boundary. )  I'm just thinking about the accountability piece with teachers as well and how to bring that in. Like disability absolves them somehow "Oh I don't know how to work with that" and difference also absolves them a bit "that's just how they are" and I'm wondering about a word that bring together all of that... encompasses I struggle but need help, you should be willing to help and together we can do it. 🙂 a lot of pressure on a word. The mental visual I have of a boundary as a wall that someone is being helped over appeals to me a little bit.

Thoughts?

• Moderators

It would depend on the context in which you are using the term "learning boundary."  I certainly would not use it when you are discussing a learning disability for purposes of an IEP or a 504 Plan, since "learning disability"  and "disability" are the terms used in the IDEA and 504 laws and regs.  If a parent is just emailing a teacher asking for help, maybe...?  I'm one of those who doesn't like to stray too far from legal terms when you're dealing with a school district.

I think sticking with terms that are used and defined in IDEA is good.  I do like your term 'learning boundary' where the term 'boundary' is inferring that something extra is needed to move things ahead.  It's like saying 'he hit a wall' and we need to figure out a way to get around it with the way being support via IEP (or 504) services.  If you use 'boundary', be sure you define it.

I like it as a separate term to describe where a student can go independently, but I'm not crazy about it being a term aiming to replace learning disability, which describes more precisely the issue.

We've had enough terms shift over the century and we can do better than try to do it again.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Unless IDEA or your state were to change terms, I would stick with the language we've been given.

Over the past 13 years, I've seen sooooo many teams do so many mental and verbal gymnastics....rather than say what needs to be said. 

If only they'd focused on meeting kids' needs, rather than trying to cook up new verbiage.....

• Like 1