Son injured at school

hopefulmom2022

Question

My son broke his left arm at school (second time) he will be out the rest of the school year. Can I request his services continue at home? I know they won't make up days when a child is absent, but this absence is not his fault. He was on equipment that was not adaptive to his needs and disability. 

4 answers to this question

I don't think it's a matter of it being anyone's fault whether or not homebound happens. It should mostly be about the needs at the time. If a doctor says that the bone needs to mend at home, that should be easy enough for services to happen at home.

45 minutes ago, Backroads said:

I don't think it's a matter of it being anyone's fault whether or not homebound happens. It should mostly be about the needs at the time. If a doctor says that the bone needs to mend at home, that should be easy enough for services to happen at home.

Thank you! That is my thinking too but was thinking that the school could come back with a no to my request for services at home

In my state, I believe there is a 2 week wait for homebound services to start.  There is also a shortage of teachers willing to do this as they do it after school.  Some schools offer cyber instruction in cases like this so don't be surprised if this is their solution.  (It tends to be a max of 10 hours/week with a teacher coming to your home.)  Cyber tends to be more hours.  I'm not sure how they can accommodate sp ed instruction since the teacher would need to be sp ed certified.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JSD24 said:

In my state, I believe there is a 2 week wait for homebound services to start.  There is also a shortage of teachers willing to do this as they do it after school.  Some schools offer cyber instruction in cases like this so don't be surprised if this is their solution.  (It tends to be a max of 10 hours/week with a teacher coming to your home.)  Cyber tends to be more hours.  I'm not sure how they can accommodate sp ed instruction since the teacher would need to be sp ed certified.

This is an excellent point, though it may depend on the type of services. Anything academic probably would be pushed for online, but if the kid is receiving other services (physical therapy, etc) that may be handled differently. I could see them contracting with someone else to handle it until school is out.