Re-Eval Under MD?

Jessica W.

Question

Second grade student currently has an IEP for ID (moderate), OHI and SLI. Recently diagnosed w/ASD. I know ASD medical and educational are different, and also realize the public agency doesn't have to honor his medical diagnosis of ASD, I'll be requesting re-evaluation under ASD at this week's annual. I got to thinking though, wouldn't it be better just to request re-evaluation under MD instead? Anyone ever receive any pushback on a re-evaluation request under MD, and if so why?

4 answers to this question

Your child doesn't have multiple disabilities with how this is defined in my state.  And you don't need to request an IEP because the student might fall under a category in IDEA.  You request an eval because the student has a disability and the extra needs they have at school because of the disability are not being addressed by the school at this time.

On 10/12/2022 at 11:12 PM, JSD24 said:

Your child doesn't have multiple disabilities with how this is defined in my state.  And you don't need to request an IEP because the student might fall under a category in IDEA.  You request an eval because the student has a disability and the extra needs they have at school because of the disability are not being addressed by the school at this time.

Thanks for your response. The student already has an IEP, under the categories I previously identified.  My state definition of MD just says "significant cognitive disability + additional disabilities". I considered doing a re-evaluation because it was annual IEP meeting and that's the time to bring up newer conditions that may adversely affect performance. That's the time to mention it. 

Does your child have a "significant cognitive disability" if they are identified as having ID (moderate)?  MD classrooms will have children in wheelchairs and on feeding tubes who might not be able to talk or be toilet trained.  These are the students who would take alt assessments and might not be taught on grade level because their impairment is so severe.  Does this sound like your child?  My school district has 12,000 students and there might be 25 that fall under MD.

Requesting an eval because you suspect educational ASD would be a good next step.  You suspect educational ASD because your child has medical ASD.  (Children with ASD might be in sensory overload in an MD classroom given the high needs of these students.)

• Like 1

On 10/22/2022 at 9:37 AM, JSD24 said:

Does your child have a "significant cognitive disability" if they are identified as having ID (moderate)?  MD classrooms will have children in wheelchairs and on feeding tubes who might not be able to talk or be toilet trained.  These are the students who would take alt assessments and might not be taught on grade level because their impairment is so severe.  Does this sound like your child?  My school district has 12,000 students and there might be 25 that fall under MD.

Requesting an eval because you suspect educational ASD would be a good next step.  You suspect educational ASD because your child has medical ASD.  (Children with ASD might be in sensory overload in an MD classroom given the high needs of these students.)

I've since received re-evaluation consent. I have moved forward with a re-evaluation request under ASD. Thank you.