IEP and Financial Assistance

JulieW

Question

Hello,

With my child having an IEP for her Intellectual Disability, would I be able to receive financial assistance from the State of Illinois to help fund the tuition for a private school that is for children with learning disabilities?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

• Moderators

Let me preface this answer with I am not in Illinois, and I can only answer this question with regard to the IEP process itself.  In other words, there could be agencies and/or non-profits in Illinois that provide financial assistance to families with special needs children.  I would suggest calling the state department of education directly.

As far as getting "financial assistance" via the IEP process, that would actually be getting your school district to pay for placement in a private school.  However, that would only happen if the data shows that the school district cannot meet the needs of your child within the district.  Private placement is close to being a "last resort" and is considered a "restrictive environment" (and school districts are required to place a child in the "least restrictive environment").  So if the school district says it can meet your child's needs, you will most likely have to let them try.  If they fail, then you can argue private placement is necessary.  But depending on the severity of the intellectual disability, that could be a long process.

As has been said, it's unlikely you can immediately make the school district pay for it via IEP.

But if you feel strongly about it, you can speak directly to the school about any scholarships or financial assistance.

Edited by EmilyM

The better route is to get the school to see that your child needs an OOD placement as LRE.  The IEP can have a private school as the placement if that's the only place where the appropriate services are offered to meet the needs listed in the IEP.  (Ohio & Florida have some scholarships - not sure about IL.)

Schools pay for schooling.  States pay for other things.

• Administrators

schools don't (and really shouldn't) hand out out-of-district placements to everyone who asks for one.

You're going to have to prove that she cannot receive FAPE in her home school district.

https://adayinourshoes.com/iep-private-placement/