School site change

Nittimom

Question

In California 

can a district change the school site without parent consent. We finished our annual iep end of march. My child school remained same for the coming school year. It’s a k-3 structure learning class. We received a letter a week ago stating that my child is assigned to a different school site. There was no further explanation. I had disagreements before finalizing the previous iep. We had to complain about the program manager as she was rude and disrespectful towards us. I am worried about this letter. My child teacher is great and this school site she made great progress. Please help with any suggestions. 

4 answers to this question

My brother and his wife are going through this. What happened was the district had to rearrange staff for various reasons and the programs changed schools. It seemed to be nothing more than district rearrangement.

Is this program still at the original school?

2 hours ago, EmilyM said:

My brother and his wife are going through this. What happened was the district had to rearrange staff for various reasons and the programs changed schools. It seemed to be nothing more than district rearrangement.

Is this program still at the original school?

Looks like yes. They said they are moving her because keeping her there would mean she will be the only third grader. Later she said the class is full that is another reason they are moving her. But I don’t want to move her. 

Schools are allowed to do this.  People move, staff moves or switches what they are doing, students have to go where the programs they need are located.  I've seen where siblings are assigned to different bus stops and their bus times are similar where one parent cannot get both students from the bus.  My district does things like this all the time.  They like to have bigger classes so they can have fewer teachers.  They wouldn't have a class with just one student.  They'd move the student.

• Administrators

There is a difference between placement and location.

They can change location without your permission or even notice. They cannot change placement without a PWN.