What to do if school refuses requested services when there is documentation to back it up?

Suzanne

Question

We are requesting an immediate IEP meeting via a Parent Concerns letter. We have asked for a 1:1 and used past documentation from previous IEPs, school evaluations, and our repeated request for a 1:1. What if the school says, "My child is diagnosed with ASD and ADHD, therefore she will take too much time meeting the requirements to graduate kindergarten and further grades." I know this is illegal, but I really need a good response to something like that and am not sure what that should be.

3 answers to this question

• Administrators

I'm not sure I understand your question. 

I don't understand the connection between a 1:1 and graduating kindergarten.

Have you read this: https://adayinourshoes.com/one-on-one-aide-paraprofessional-iep-special-education/

I emailed you a copy of the parent concerns letter that we will be sending to her IEP team over the weekend. We are asking for a 1 on 1 paraprofessional educator and a few other things in the letter. The school she attends is known for not being receptive to parents requests for their special needs children. If during the IEP meeting, they say something to the affect of "My child is diagnosed with ASD and ADHD, and therefore she will take too much time meeting the requirements to graduate kindergarten and further grades." I want to be able to reply to that intelligently, rather than out of anger. Our fear is they will say we are asking too much and try to get out of most of it or throw in the towel or who knows what.

I was not aware of the link you sent above, but will be reading it shortly. I have read tons & tons of the info on your blog and links posted in your blog. And still learning, which I suspect is what I will be doing for years to come. I totally understand "a knowledge base/skillset I wish I didn't have to have".

• Administrators
On 8/3/2023 at 2:57 PM, Suzanne said:

What if the school says, "My child is diagnosed with ASD and ADHD, therefore she will take too much time meeting the requirements to graduate kindergarten and further grades."

Ok, I'm still puzzled as to why you're trying to prepare and predict what the school is going to say.

Have your documentation. Have a strong case for a 1:1 going in. Have a strong case for an inclusion setting and a path to a regular diploma with the right supports.

We cannot, nor is it useful in my opinion, to try to predict what schools are going to say and prepare for every counter-argument. Flip your perspective on having a strong positive argument for what you're asking for.

Offense, not defense, if that makes sense.