Transferring States

Bhuff588

Question

I’m transferring states with an IEP that works already in place. In VA, my son is in an inclusion classroom with the general education teacher and special education teacher with 30 minute pull outs for math daily and 15 minutes for ELA with the same SPED teacher in his classroom. 

We are moving to WV and I have a parent meeting tomorrow with the principal to discuss placement. I obviously want as close to this placement as possible however I don’t think they offer inclusion classrooms. I do not want him in a separate resource room as that would violate his right to LRE but the vibe I got from the initial meet was that was their go-to and that’s not going to fly. 

Has anyone else been in similar situations? Can anyone think of alternative placements for an inclusion room if they don’t offer it? My brain goes mama bear for my own kids and I don’t think straight.

3 answers to this question

• Moderators

Since you're transferring to a different state, it is my understanding that the new school district cannot change the current IEP until they do their own evaluation.  And until that time, the current IEP stays in place.  (Check your department of education's website and/or call to confirm this.)  That would mean they HAVE to provide comparable services to what he received under the current IEP document.  Then, unless their evaluation shows he needs to be in a separate resource room, they have to keep him in an inclusion room.  It doesn't matter if they don't "offer it."  Least restrictive environment is based on what the child needs - not on what the school district "offers."  If they don't have enough spec ed teachers, then they'll just have to hire more or contract with someone.

An aide - where he's in the gen ed classroom w/ a helper who isn't a sp ed teacher (helper might be working w/ a few students) - might be how the new school handles coming up with a parallel to the old IEP.  Resource room or self-contained classrooms would not have the level of LRE that's in the old IEP.  You'll need to do your best at advocating if an inclusion classroom isn't something the new school currently does.  Always good to have more than one option to suggest when meeting with the school.