How are we supposed to view Universal Design Learning?

DeeDee

Question

In another special education group I'm in I've seen some complaints about UDL and how it affects IEP accommodations. I feel conflicted. On one hand, it looks like good principles meant to help as many students as possible regardless of disability. On the other hands, it seems like it dilutes the accommodations our kids do get.

4 answers to this question

I was to a conference and attended a few sessions on UDL.  It's a good thing.  It normalizes accommodations where students who do need them don't stand out.  Makes kids less self-conscious.  That said, if graphic organizers are UDL, you might still want this on an IEP.  If the student goes to another school or class where this is not UDL, they will not have the accommodation they rely on.

I see this as normalizing an accommodation - not diluting it.  If a gen ed student is having an off day and decides to use UDL, let them.  If they can do A work with UDL & B work w/o, why not use UDL?  I'm taking a class that has lecture as well as subtitles.  I'm finding I understand better when I read & hear.  Should I limit myself to lesser understanding & not read along?  (Should I play the video 2X to listen to understand better?)  What would you do?

I see where there is potential conflict. For example, what does extra time to complete and submit assignments mean when the teacher only has due dates at the end of grading periods? But that's also where I see it needs to be less about meeting certain bullet points and more about your child's ultimate needs. They have the whole grading period, which is as flexible as it gets. That meets the need for that time and flexibility, does it matter if the rest of the class has it? 

So, yeah, as long as the need is met, I don't think it should matter if it's an official accommodation or how the classroom simply runs. 

• Administrators

Like with most stuff for our kids, it's a good thing when done well. The problem is that it's either misunderstood or not implemented well.

https://adayinourshoes.com/universal-design-for-learning/

UDL is overall a good thing if what it offers meets the needs of the student, especially in higher grades where teachers tend to be more difficult about providing something they don't already do.  

Personally, I think if a student needs a specific accommodation it should be on the IEP even if it (or something similar) is provided to everyone.  There is a difference between happening to benefit from what is globally provided, and documenting that a particular student needs this accommodation to access their education.