Arizona IEP Middle School

Stacey Schiff

Question

Hi! 

I am looking to connect with parents of children who have an IEP and are in middle school.

I am new to the state of Arizona and looking to connect with other parents who have students with IEPs in public school in the state of Arizona. 

I am looking for support/advice around holding a school accountable for executing IEP accommodations and for acknowledging "invisible" disabilities. 

3 answers to this question

My kids are all out of HS but I wanted to acknowledge your post.  I feel that your best bet is to make your child aware of what's in the IEP as far as both special instruction (you should be pulled out once a week for A and twice a week for B) so you have info that the IEP is being followed - do the same for accommodations.  I know my son was very self conscience about being different, missing class to get services.  You might want to talk to them about this - my son felt it was unfair for him to get extra time for assignments.  The one thing I didn't have in his IEP that I regret is that we knew he'd be missing class to get speech therapy but he also had ADHD & figuring out how to make up the work in the classes he missed for speech became a problem.  I should have had someone tell him what he missed so he wasn't failing that class.

If your child says they didn't get pulled once a week for A and twice a week for B, you can ask the therapist what is happening.  It's possible the therapist pushed into the classroom instead so get the story from the therapist before complaining the services didn't happen.  Also ask your child if there are accommodations they need that they aren't getting.  If they don't have time to write down assignments, there are ways to accommodate this (photo w/ a phone/ipad or email from the teacher).

With MS & lockers & changing for PE, make sure your child can do what's needed.  Practice, practice, practice at home.  I hope he has a great year!

• Like 1

• Moderators

I am not in Arizona, but I would add that it is a good idea to meet with each of your child's individual teachers as soon as you can in the school year (even a phone call would work) to discuss the accommodations and see if they have any questions.  That way you bring the accommodations to their attention and you're on their radar as a parent who expects the IEP to be followed.

If you discover later during the school year that the accommodations are not being followed, reach out to the director of special education first so that he/she can have a discussion with the errant teacher(s).  If that doesn't work, you could file a state complaint to hold the school district accountable (as a last resort).

• Like 1

• Administrators

Supports and services should be tailored to the student, and not vary by state. I know that's not what always happens.

Here are some things to look out for: https://adayinourshoes.com/middle-high-school-iep/

• Like 1