Accommodations before meeting is had

Smiley74

Question

I think I remember reading somewhere that a  school can still provide accommodations even if a 504 plan has not been put in place. Is that correct?

The request has been made and diagnosis and suggested accommodations supplied from a licensed provider , but just waiting on the school to move forward with the meeting. 

2 answers to this question

• Moderators

The school CAN provide accommodations under the ADA and other disability laws, if applicable (but I'm not an expert in these), but they don't HAVE to provide suggested 504 accommodations until they do their own evaluation and implement the 504 Plan.  For a 504 Plan, the disability and accommodations have to relate to accessing educations.  Also, some providers may not establish that link.

A good teacher will trial an accommodation and then ask for it to be added to a 504.  With no required 504 team members, it should be pretty quick to get a meeting.  You might need to gently remind the school that you want to schedule so you can move forward with your child getting the help they need.