Invitation letter?

Mel

Question

Hi, 

I had a question on invitation to participate in IEP meeting. Someone was just telling me about this and that I should be receiving one before our meeting so we know where, when, who is attending, and what is being discussed. I have never seen this though. Is this correct? We never get any information prior to the meeting.

4 answers to this question

• Moderators

I don't know what state you are in (you could check your state's department of education/special education website for specific requirements in your state), but the IDEA (federal law governing IEP's) does require a notice to parents that includes purpose, time, and location of the meeting, and who will be in attendance.  As far as participants, I am not completely sure about this, but I believe the school district is allowed to just put titles on the notice.  In other words, they could put "building administrator," but not designate the specific name of the principal or vice principal who will be attending.

The IDEA also requires that the notice be given early enough for the parents to be able to attend "at a mutually agree time and place."  If you are unable to attend the meeting time and date listed on the notice, reach out to the school immediately, let them know this, and offer up a couple of alternative dates and times.