Everyday Speech for Social Skills

My general education 5th grader is being recommended for a social skills group with the school social worker. He had an IEP from end of 1st grade thru mid 4th grade for Speech, which is how I know about this forum. This year teachers have observed that sometimes he forgets about personal space (his classroom does have 30 students this year...) or forgets to check in with the members of a conversation. These lagging skills are not keeping him from accessing the curriculum, he just needs a refresher. In 2nd grade this was a small concern (class size was also large), 3rd grade he was home on Zoom and last year back in the school building for 4th grade. Class size was smaller last year and there were no social concerns from him or his teachers. 

One tool the Social Worker will use with the small group is Everyday Speech. There are two sets of curriculum from Everyday Speech - SEL and Social Communication.  I expect mostly Social Communication lessons will be used but have not confirmed. Anyone able to share their experience with this resource? I'm interested in success stories of course but also wondering if there are elements I should look out for like route memorization of a script, etc. Any questions I should ask the SW? Thank you!

Everyday Speech  can be viewed here

• Like 1

It's a very new program/curriculum. I think it's only several years old, and when you factor in the pandemic (most schools likely weren't adopting new curricula during that time) I don't know of many schools with experience.

That said, it is new, and it does look promising. 

--------------------

This account is run by multiple people.

If you have a technical/forums question, please put it in the Start Here forum

All other questions, please find the appropriate forum.

17 hours ago, Site Admin said:

It's a very new program/curriculum. I think it's only several years old, and when you factor in the pandemic (most schools likely weren't adopting new curricula during that time) I don't know of many schools with experience.

That said, it is new, and it does look promising. 

Thanks for the reply. That does make sense. I've been trying to view some of the free content and learn as much as I can.