Placement change with a new BIP

KALB

Question

The school conducted an FBA, during a time when my daughter was out sick for three weeks with only a couple days in school during which they did the observations. The FBA meeting was held and the BIP was written, mostly by me. It has been less than a week since the BIP was written and the school is already pushing for a placement meeting to "determine where she would be better suited." Are there any requirements for how long a BIP has to be implemented before placement can be changed? I'm already prepping myself for this to be a fight as I feel like the administration has been trying to get rid of my daughter since about the 3rd day of school. As of now she has spent more time sick or suspended than she has spent in school and I'm beyond frustrated with how this is going. 

4 answers to this question

• Administrators

No, there are no requirements for this. 

Think about what you're fighting for--gen ed isn't always the best placement for everyone, and LRE for her may be a different setting. And, they may care more about meeting her needs.

On 10/18/2022 at 5:53 AM, Lisa Lightner said:

No, there are no requirements for this. 

Think about what you're fighting for--gen ed isn't always the best placement for everyone, and LRE for her may be a different setting. And, they may care more about meeting her needs.

She had already been in a self contained classroom for a half day and home based for the other half and then they switched her to being in a solitary class without telling me. They came into the meeting offering home based full time, even though we have yet to receive any of the homebased services that they assigned in August. I countered and told them that home based is not acceptable at all and that there needed to be an alternative, thankfully there was a district rep who actually seemed to not just want to get rid of my daughter and she recommended a private placement at one of the local Autism specific schools. Which to me is still not ideal but my daughter now has so much anxiety about going to school that I just want her away from them. 

• Administrators
20 hours ago, KALB said:

She had already been in a self contained classroom for a half day and home based for the other half and then they switched her to being in a solitary class without telling me. They came into the meeting offering home based full time, even though we have yet to receive any of the homebased services that they assigned in August. I countered and told them that home based is not acceptable at all and that there needed to be an alternative, thankfully there was a district rep who actually seemed to not just want to get rid of my daughter and she recommended a private placement at one of the local Autism specific schools. Which to me is still not ideal but my daughter now has so much anxiety about going to school that I just want her away from them. 

Ok, then I would push for a classroom setting, not necessarily gen ed.

Many kids are put on homebound for behaviors, mostly because the school doesn't want to deal with it. It's a very disturbing trend.

Go visit the placement with an open mind. I was very biased against my son's current placement but went to visit so that the district couldn't say I wasn't cooperating. He's now been there for 10+ years and I love it.