EF goal for emotionally disabled in draft IEP

Linda Usita

Question

My 16yo daughter was diagnosed with Emotional Disability with low scores in Reading and Math.  This is her second year in SpEd and is in the GenEd classes.  I homechooled her prior to being in public school.  She has IEP goals for math and reading, but nothing for Emotional Disability. Her teachers all say that she is fine in their classes and do not show any social behaviors.  She was also diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, depression, OCD, and conduct disorder. Shouldn't there be an Executive Functioning goal for Emotional Disability?  She's always late for school in the morning (because she doesn't like school), very rarely do and turn in assignments on time. Her grades are average.   I think she has dysregulated in Sense of  timing, Planning, Pacing, Execution.  How do I convince the team to include Executive Functioning goals? EF is a buzz word in our small island. I doubt that there are staff and resources to teach Executive Functioning.  Would appreciate your advice and guidance.

5 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Linda Usita said:

My 16yo daughter was diagnosed with Emotional Disability with low scores in Reading and Math.  This is her second year in SpEd and is in the GenEd classes.  I homechooled her prior to being in public school.  She has IEP goals for math and reading, but nothing for Emotional Disability. Her teachers all say that she is fine in their classes and do not show any social behaviors.  She was also diagnosed with ADHD, anxiety, depression, OCD, and conduct disorder. Shouldn't there be an Executive Functioning goal for Emotional Disability?  She's always late for school in the morning (because she doesn't like school), very rarely do and turn in assignments on time. Her grades are average.   I think she has dysregulated in Sense of  timing, Planning, Pacing, Execution.  How do I convince the team to include Executive Functioning goals? EF is a buzz word in our small island. I doubt that there are staff and resources to teach Executive Functioning.  Would appreciate your advice and guidance.

I would bring up the being late for school issue and state what you've done on your end for it.

So the ED box is checked and there are no ED services or goals.  If there are ED needs, there should be ED services & goals.

If the IEP shows a student has a needed, the IEP should address that need.  What testing did the school do for EF?  My school does the BRIEF.  Also, ED can prevent a person from being able to EF well because working memory is working on ED things and not EF things.  They can accommodate the ED & EF by prompting to turn in homework if they are not remediating it.

• Administrators

Our learning and knowledge is always changing. A few months ago I did an interview with an EF expert. Bottom line--the BRIEF is garbage.

Most of what we know (or knew) about EF, and what schools are doing...is garbage.

Please find the time to watch this video. Implementing what she suggests is an uphill battle for sure. But why keep doing "what we've always done" just because "that's what we've always done" if it's not working?

https://adayinourshoes.com/executive-functioning/

On 11/10/2023 at 9:32 AM, Lisa Lightner said:

Our learning and knowledge is always changing. A few months ago I did an interview with an EF expert. Bottom line--the BRIEF is garbage.

Most of what we know (or knew) about EF, and what schools are doing...is garbage.

Please find the time to watch this video. Implementing what she suggests is an uphill battle for sure. But why keep doing "what we've always done" just because "that's what we've always done" if it's not working?

https://adayinourshoes.com/executive-functioning/

Where do you get data to show there is an EF issue?  I thought the BRIEF was normed and provided that data.  And I do agree that schools aren't great at teaching EF.

I started watching the video:  https://www.facebook.com/ADayInOurShoesIEP/videos/1034056741123429 and didn't finish it.