IOP impact on school grades

Cottage

Question

Can a teacher fail a student or lower their class grade while they are completing an IOP, Intensive Outpatient Program?  My daughter has an IEP and is in 9th grade in a public school.  She could not complete this semester because she had to focus on her mental health and her weekly IOP therapy hours. Her grades were lowered in some of her classes.

3 answers to this question

I'd say yes, they can give a poor grade because the student did not complete all the assignments or didn't do great work.  You would have needed to modify the IEP to reduce the workload for your child to be given consideration for needing to deal with the IOP.  (When something gets modified like this, the school might not get the same credit as a gen ed student.)  If she didn't complete the semester, can she earn credit for the classes she was enrolled in?  I'm not sure that HSs offer part time options like colleges do where you can take fewer classes when something like this is happening.

• Like 1

Thank you. Yes we switched her to independent study to do 4 classes instead of 8. Her IEP already had modified work.

We have enrolled her in a homeschool program for next semester so that she can focus on her therapy. She will have hundreds of classes to choose from to help find classes that better fit her needs.🤞

• Like 1

• Administrators

Can they? Yes. Should they? Well.........

Grades are subjective, not objective. I'd call for a meeting to discuss what will support your child for success.

• Like 1