IEE help

Heather Torres

Question

Hello I have 2 sons with ADHD, sensory processing disorder and 1 of them also has auditory processing disorder.  They both have issues at recess with behavior.  They both have been suspended for issues at recess.  They currently have 504s.  We asked for an IEP, they evaluated us and said they are not struggling academically they do not qualify for an IEP.  I asked for the IEE and it was approved.  My question is who should I select to do the IEE?  and what assessments?  They have deficits in self control, emotional regulation, executive function, sensory and auditory processing and socially. 

4 answers to this question

On 3/2/2024 at 10:29 AM, Sharon said:

I would suggest pressing the school for an outside OT eval instead of waiting for them to hire one. They said hire? Why can’t they just sub-contract for one eval? 

Subcontracting is a process.  The person has to have the OK of the school board to do this.  In my district, it adds a month to go through the process if getting SB OK.

Given the breath of issues that need to be looked at, I don't feel one person would have all the expertise needed to do each facet of the eval.  Evaluating auditory processing requires expertise in audiology as well as the right equipment (a sound-proof booth) to do the eval.  Audiologists cannot evaluate self control, emotional regulation or executive function - that tends to be what a psychologist does.  Sensory falls under OT.  There is no certification for social skills.  I'm thinking you'll need 3 or 4 people to do the IEE.

Did the school evaluate these areas?  The evaluator cannot do the exact same eval the school did.  They need to wait a year to get valid results.

If behavior is the issue, was an FBA done?  What evals did the school do?

We took him to an audiologist and got the diagnosis for auditory processing disorder after the IEP evals from the school were completed.  It took my a while, but I finally found an audiologist to do the proper testing.

The school did psycho-educational evaluation, speech-langauge, academic.  I did request an FBA and an OT assesment after the IEP.  So that is in process.  She said it will take her a month to write her report.  The school told me that the BCBA was also an OT.  But she's not.  So now we have to wait for the school to hire an OT.

Woodcock-Johnson IV Tests of Cognitive Abilities

Comprehensive Assesment of Spoken Language Second Edition (CASL-2)

IMPACT Social Communication Rating Scale

Kaufman Assessment Battery for Chilrdern, 2nd Edition

Bender Visual Motor Gestalt Test, 2nd edition

Comprehensive Test of Phonological Processing

BASC-3

Brief 2

Conner Rating Scale 3rd Edition

Scales for Assessing Emotional Disturbance

TAPS-4