Administrative Complaint

TN Mom

Question

2 answers to this question

I didn't want your question to go unanswered but I'm not sure of the right answer.  I do know that teachers/staff rarely lose their job over an IEP complaint.  Teacher/staff training tends to be what happens.  The resolution should attempt to make it like the issue didn't happen.  Back services also tends to be a resolution.

I had filed a complaint when my child was being evaluated for an IEP.  I dropped off my signed permission to evaluate.  (It was actually the school that initiated evaluating my child.)  Around 60 days later I was back at the school for something and popped in to check on how the eval was coming along.  The AP opened the desk drawer and the paperwork was still there.  I later found out that the psychologist assigned to this middle school was sick.  She eventually passed away - I'm pretty sure she had cancer.  The HS psychologist should have been given the paperwork to do the eval.  I'm not sure why that didn't happen.  The Assistant Principal should have known better than to do what she did.  She still works for the district - I think she's an AP in one of the HSs.  I'm hoping she got chewed out for doing this and never does this to another student.

• Like 1

Hi—

I did some digging and found this post specific to Tennessee. Looks like the district had 10 days to reconcile the issue, issue a written finding after investigating the complaint and the info gets posted on the state website. An admin complaint can’t get someone fired or anything extreme. There is more info and detailed explanations here: https://educationrightsproject.nashville.gov/wp-content/uploads/2023/11/TN-DOE-Guide-to-Special-Education-Administrative-Complaint.pdf