Dyslexia & written expression (conventions)

Hi! I have a 15yr boy/freshman with a complex learning profile including dyslexia, ADHD and written expression issues. One of the goals we’ve been working on for years  is his written expression and the different components of writing. This year we’re focused on organization, style, & conventions (based on PA writing rubric). He has been resistant for years to embrace his AT (Google read/write, Grammarly) to utilize the spell and grammar check.  And I’ve tried to explain that these things can be easily corrected with tools and help paint the picture to the reader what he’s writing about etc… I think due to his ADHD he can’t be bothered to fix the misspelling and just wants to get the assignment turned in as quickly as possible.
I’m looking for any ideas, suggestions, different tools he would be more inclined to use. 

PA Writing Rubric https://pa01000176.schoolwires.net/cms/lib/PA01000176/Centricity/Domain/1009/PA writing assessment rubric.doc

I really don't have an answer for you.  Just wanted to say my son had similar issues.  His diagnosis is ADHD/dysgraphia.  He never wanted to use the accommodations in his IEP.  He saw himself as typical and saw the accommodations as cheating.  He also didn't want his classmates to view him as different/disabled.  I think he was afraid this could end up with him being teased/bullied/shunned.

When he got closer to graduation and could see himself living a life after graduation, this is when he started to realize he needed to do better so he could graduate with his class.  He graduated in 2022.

I can see your child using their accommodations if they had peer models that had similar accommodations.  He'd have this is he was attending a school where everyone had dyslexia...or a summer camp where they bring dyslexics together.  At 15, he's not seeing the importance of being able to write well.

• Like 1

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and congratulations to your recent graduate.  I do agree that he may not want to see his classmates view him differently.  My son has worked so hard (and continuing) to get into all Gen Ed classes. Perhaps as my son approaches the end of high school he may be more inclined to embrace these tools.  You do give me a thought to ask my IEP team if they ever model these tools to his co-teaching ELA class as a whole because dyslexic or dysgraphic kids aren't the only ones that use spell & grammar checks.  I would love to send him to the Landmark summer camp program where he is around other kids with the same learning differences.   Thanks so much! 

Important Information

Terms of Use