Can SPED committee over rule school requirement in Texas

MarcieR

Question

My daughter attends a charter school in Texas. At her Initial IEP meeting Friday the principal was adamant that we not remove band and give her a study hall. Stating that it is a school requirement. My understanding is that State and Federal Law FAPE/IDEA can trump that.  For now we agreed for an online class. I was told after the meeting that they are behind loading classes online. It is now about to be November and not sure when they are supposed to load this class for her. This class is a "special" so only taken 3xs a week. I want to reconvene and just say no to online and keep a study hall. The rest of the SPED committee was on board besides the principal. Any thoughts?

2 answers to this question

• Administrators

Yes, an IEP can override school policy. However, it cannot override state graduation requirements. 

Ask to see the policy in writing. Make your request in writing.

Fwiw, charters are usually allowed to play by their own set of rules, so I'd be prepared for a fight.

1 hour ago, Lisa Lightner said:

Yes, an IEP can override school policy. However, it cannot override state graduation requirements. 

Ask to see the policy in writing. Make your request in writing.

Fwiw, charters are usually allowed to play by their own set of rules, so I'd be prepared for a fight.

Thank you. I will ask for the policy in writing. My daughter is in middle school so TEA states fine art is required for 1 year. She’s had 2 years of band and 2 years of art. So she is complete. And band is not required for HS. I’m ready to fight. I’ve been in this long fight to even get her properly evaluated for 2 years now!