Grade Inflating

Jane

Question

I have a 15 year old/ in 9th grade. Adopted in November 2020. Finally had IEP setup February 2022. No progress has been made. Currently in due process waiting for a court date to fight for an OOD placement. I am noticing now that her  grades are being inflated. Assuming this is being done to show progress for court. Of course ethically  I know this is wrong, but does this violate any laws or anything that I can quote to let them know that hey I'm on to their game? They are also now giving her retests of any tests she fails. Test retakes were not part of her IEP.

My email to the teacher:

I see that M's Renaissance test score in Genesis is listed as 66% 35/53. But on her first time taking the test she score 10/106 and her second time taking the test she scored a 24/106. How did the grade become a 66%? Shouldn't it be a 22.64%?

Teacher's response email:

As noted in the comment for the Renaissance Quiz, "Grade was 6/53, but became a 35/53 with test corrections and extra credit.” The class is graded on an overall points system, not via percentages, so the ’22.64’ does not go into the grade book as that number, and neither does the '66’. As outlined in the syllabus, all assignments (tests, quizzes, classwork, etc) are weighted the same, although tests, quizzes, and projects may have more points, which is why this quiz is worth 53 points as opposed to classwork assignments which are usually 10-25 points a piece. Her initial grade was a 6/53, then became a 12/53 with test corrections, finally with the extra credit she earned during review games, it became a 35/53. 

3 answers to this question

• Administrators

Grades are subjective, not objective. Teachers can (and do) use rubrics and other methods to make them more standardized, but at the end of it all, a teacher can give an A as easily as they can give an F. To my knowledge, no state defines how grades must be calculated.

If it's the same for all students, then there's really not a fairness issue, imo. Only if it was only being done for one child or a few kids.

If you have concerns about the student's progress, this is why accurate baselines in the Present Levels (acquired via assessments/evaluations) are essential for monitoring progress.

If a child has support in their IEP (test retakes) that does not mean that they can ONLY receive the supports and interventions listed in the IEP. They can do other things. Test retakes are quite common.

What is your end goal here--what is it that you are seeking? That can probably help us guide you further.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer. My end goal is to have her in an out of district placement. School district is shady and I feel now they are trying to pad her grades to show as proof to the judge to show progress. She is on a 4th grade reading and 3rd grade math level (in the 9th grade) with multiple diagnoses including Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and Fragile XE Syndrome and just  recently diagnosed with Autism.

They have her in some resource level classrooms and gen ed. She is struggling so badly- educationally and emotionally.

• Like 1

• Administrators

Ok, so that's what you have to focus on--gathering the data to prove that. Her reading level data, her math level data.

Sure, grades are kinda 'something' but should never be the determining criteria for an IEP or placement.

If seeking an out of district placement, define what they are doing there, and why your daughter needs that.