Dealing with School Pushback

Lisa Lightner

I asked for a goal:  Handing in 100% of the homework assigned.  The LEA said she needed to talk to the district solicitor before it could be added.  They added it.  (He has a twin brother who was doing this.  It's what's expected of students.)

As of yet we have been unsuccessful in implementing the 504 from last year because the "teacher has to get to know my grand-daughter". Meeting with the teacher is not allowed in this state and there has to be failure and an intervention in a specific subject before any action will be taken, They have a cozy corner but its only allowed at designated times. The school nurse accused my grand-daughter of lying to get out of class-She 6 by the way-with ADHD, anxiety and SPD. 

We once again are unsure of how to navigate this public school push back when they won't communicate. My daughter is looking into homeschooling as a viable option 

• Moderators

Wow.  Just wow.  This is totally unacceptable - as you know.  Since you state "unsuccessful in implementing the 504 from last year," I'm assuming there is a 504 in place currently.  If so, it has to be implemented.  Period.  There is nothing that says "the teacher has to get to know her."  When schools say things like that, ask them where is says that and what they're basing that on.  Your granddaughter has disabilities for which she was given 504 accommodations - getting to know the teacher is not a prerequisite for implementation.  Now the teacher might have questions about the accommodations and how best to implement them with your child, which is fine. 

What state are you in?  I've never heard of a state not allowing meetings with teachers.  They can be present at a 504 meeting, I assume?  Maybe you need to ask for a 504 meeting and invite the teacher so discussions can be had about implementation of the 504.

I also don't understand when you say "there has to be failure and an intervention in a specific subject before any action will be taken."  Because it sounds like action was taken, in that you have a 504 in place.  The problem is implementation.

If the school continues not to implement the 504, I would go up the chain of command - 504 coordinator, then that person's supervisor, etc.  If you get no where, your daughter may have to file an OCR complaint for discrimination against a disabled child (not providing her with agreed upon accommodations).  She might also call the state department of education to see if they can provide any suggestions or recourse.

Thank you. We are in CT and it's been an uphill battle from the beginning. My daughter even hired an advocate last year but a lot of the accommodations were not implemented or they were changed based upon the teachers assessment. It is especially difficult when, for example, they don't remind her about there head phones or punish her when she struggles with a lesson by allowing the other kids to play and making her repeat the lesson even though she didn't get it the first time.  Only being allowed to stand at her desk occasionally. No protection from comments when kids call her weird. No effort to foster socialization or peer support. This public school system is broken. 

Lets see... meeting with teachers.. They have to get another teacher to cover the class while that happens-thats their rationale for not having meetings.

I am always amazed of the lack of understanding of the teachers but in CT there is no requirement for any education on ADHD or other disabilities.  Ironically, the school stated that my grand-daughter was the only child with a 504 in the two kindergarten classes last year.     I suspect that means there are kids that are undiagnosed or they have succeeded in downplaying all kids with disabilities, in spite of parental concern.

It's a dismal day every day trying to get her to go to school.  She classifies as a 2E as well -highly intelligent and just a joy-yet they are destroying her spirit , self esteem and her love of learning. How do you foster resilience in a toxic environment?  

Thanks for listening. 

• Moderators

This is a hard one.  If going up the chain of command in your school district (all the way to the school board and superintendent) doesn't work, I believe your only recourse at that point in filing an OCR complaint (but speak with your state department of education to see if they have any suggestions).  But OCR complaints, even when you win, are not very helpful.  Also, both of these tactics (going up the chain of command and filing a complaint) will likely make things even worse for your granddaughter in terms of retaliation.  No, they're not supposed to retaliate and it's illegal to do so.  But they're also supposed to implement a 504 Plan, and they're not.  The law is pretty clear that you can't discriminate against a student due to their disability, but if you don't have a government agency that will back you up and keep retaliation from happening, they're not much good.

Yes you're right- it is hard and I am quite certain retaliation has already occurred at this point. It could be why my daughter can't see the teacher . I never imagined this would be the case in public school setting. My girls were brought up in the military schools as we moved from post to post and these issues never appeared. What's wrong with a system that doesn't allow parents to speak to a teacher ?  Home schooling looks like the only  viable option a this point .

Its interesting that there is a  plethora of research on ADHD,  SPD and anxiety  and its long term affects yet no one in this school acknowledges a 6 year olds disability. I guess everyone there is neurotypical.

Thank you for your candor. 

For CMERC-  I met with teachers either before or after school.  Teacher work hours start before classes for students start and end after students leave.   This is also when school-wide staff meetings take place.  You should be able to meet with the teacher then.  (It's a PITA for parents because they'll need a sitter since their child(ren) aren't in school at this time but it is doable.)

Again for CMERC- Tell the school that you want a parent teacher conference.  Ask them when this can be arranged.  Your other choice is to request a 504 meeting.  If there is something in the 504 that is not being implemented, an OCR complaint can be made.  With things being removed from the 504, you can request to see the data that has lead to the accommodation being removed.  Not sure if the lack of ability to communicate 1:1 with the teacher is something to go to the school board and mention at a public meeting.